Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading HD 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2010 7:59:14 PM

I'm looking for a graphics card to purchase around the beginning of September and have a budget of £200-300.

I will be using it to play games like Crysis 2, Medal of Honor limited edition, and Call of Duty: Black Ops when they get released hopefully on full setting which i know will be hard on Crysis 2, and occasionally do some video encoding.

I currently have a HIS HD 5770 and will be upgrading my PSU to a Antec Earthwatts 750w.

Processor: AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
Mobo: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G
Memory: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Ballistix (7-7-7-24) 1.65V
Case: Coolermaster 690 II Advanced

Ilive in the UK and the best prices for components are from and also

i'm not too fussy on brand as long as they are reliable, i have also been reading up on cuda and think this would help when I'm encoding videos

i will be overclocking if i feel brave enough as i have never overclocked before and my motherboard only supports Crossfire so i will only be able to have 1 Nvidia GPU

I will be running all of this on a 1920x1080 Gaming monitor

i would prefer the card to have better than stock cooling so that i have more head room when overclocking and also quieter then the reference card

I have currently been looking at the Inno3D GTX 470 Hawk but would like to see what other people come up with as they might have a better idea then me.

More about : upgrading 5770

a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 8:19:29 PM

Since any of those titles have not released yet, you may do well to hold on to your cash for now.. Later you can run the game (as and when they get released) and get an exact measure of how much of a performance boost you actually need.. If you need a solution right away, then the most sensible option would be to add another 5770 to your existing setup..
a c 125 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 8:24:21 PM

Here's a good deal on a reference HD5850, the stock cooler is fairly quiet and this card has a great price Vs performance ratio: http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Asus-1024MB-GDDR5-AT...

This HD5850 has an aftermarket cooler and a slight factory overclock: http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Gigabyte-1024MB-GDDR...

At the top end of your budget: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

GTX470 + overclock and aftermarket cooling
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 11:56:20 PM

Regarding CUDA, the program you use must support CUDA in order to benefit from the hardware acceleration. Otherwise, it all boils down to the CPU, baby.

Also if you do find a program that does support CUDA, then do some research on it before making your decision. While it may have CUDA, you may also find that it limits your encoding parameter options.
August 10, 2010 1:44:20 PM

thanks for your reply on cuda i'm new to all this and this will help, i might as well start looking up cuda programs now to see if there is any that i will use
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 2:21:07 PM

You may as well look up programs that are able to put the encoding job to the GPU from the CPU, that will be the biggest boost in performance. The benefits of CUDA will be nominal compared to the benefits recieved from a program that can send jobs to the GPU rather than CPU.
!