New Build Sanity Check

tesuji2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I am looking for comments on my build -- just want a sanity check before I purchase these items!

I use my computer to run chess & backgammon engines, Photoshop, and Illustrator. I do not play real time strategy games.

Below are the contents of my newegg cart (Total = $710):

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

*Note - I will not be installing 2 graphics cards in the motherboard, but Newegg has a -$30 combo with the CPU, so I picked this motherboard anyway.

I already own the following components:
Corsair 550W PSU
Antec Sonata II case
eVGA GT 240 GPU
DVD drive

I might also buy an aftermarket CPU cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212).

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
You may want to get a SATA 3 HDD or SSD.... It'd be a waste not to....
The solid state drive isn't very large, and you will want larger.
So basically you aren't going to be using this computer for anything other then messing around? this is more then adequate =D... The SSD is the only thing I disagree with. Buy a 640$ SATA 3 HDD....

I found a 64 gig ssd if you really want one, it is by crucial and is sata-3... I don't know much about SSDs other then they are overpriced =p. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148361&cm_re=solid_state_drive_sata_3-_-20-148-361-_-Product

tesuji2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I agree that the SSD is pretty small -- I was thinking of using it for OS/apps, and adding an HDD for storage/backup/etc. Perhaps I can increase the SSD budget and get something a little larger though...

As for the Crucial drive, the read/write speeds are 355/75 MB/s, compared to 285/275 MB/s on the OCZ. Is it more favorable performance-wise to sacrifice write speed for the 25% increase in read speed?

Thanks for the comments.

Timop

Distinguished
That SSD is perfectly adequate for a boot drive, you'll have 40GB left over after win7. The Crucial SATA3s isn't great, the only model to get is the 256GB one, other than that stick with sandforces.

On the build, its pretty nice and theres nothing much to change.

The build looks very well suited to its intended purpose.
Nothing seems excessive; personally I think the snappiness a SSD brings to a system is worth the cost.
You won't need the aftermarket cooler unless you plan to overclock (the stock cooler is pretty quiet).
You might save a few bucks by getting DDR3-1333, but that's niggling. Have fun with your build.

Edit: Oh, as to the SSD size, I just breadboarded a rig this afternoon, and after loading Win7 HP/64, drivers, Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, Norton (hey, it's free with our ISP) all onto a 64GB SSD, I've got over 40GB free.

How much do you need a quad core? If your backgammon and chess engines are not multi core enabled, then you might do better with a higher clocked 32nm clarkdale duo like a i5-660. It has decent integrated graphics. If you overclock, a 32nm cpu should overclock higher than the 750.
You could market yout GTS240.

I know that photoshop responds well to large amounts of ram. Consider a 8gb ram kit of 2 x 4gb.

I love SSD's, they make everything feel much snappier. Your OS will take about 15gb of it. I have been pleased with microsoft security essentials, it is also free, and very unobtrusive. Perhaps Norton is better these days. When I used it, it was a kludge.

How urgent is this build? "sandy bridge" will arrive probably in January and be a significant step up.

There will be some gen 3 SSD's coming out this fall. It might pay to wait on them.

tesuji2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks for all the great feedback.

@geofelt - the engines are multi core enabled, so I'll probably stick to with the quad core. I don't think I can wait for the sandy bridge, but I may pick up one of the next gen ssd drives that you mentioned. Thanks for the tip on the RAM. It's a pretty easy upgrade, so I'll probably invest in the additional 4GB...

@Timop and @jtt283 - thanks for the comments. It's comforting to know that a good amount of room will be left over after installing the OS. I'll wait to pull the trigger on an aftermarket cooker as I want to feel out the system before I decide to overclock or not.

@sp12 - thanks, I haven't read much about this chip and I will check it out before making my final decision.

cheers--

Since you are multi core enabled, and, I assume cpu processing limited, then a quad is very good.

There are two additional options to consider.

The i7-860 or 870 has hyperthreading which gives you 4 more dispatchable tasks. Those hyperthreads are less capable than a native core, but they are worth perhaps 1/3 of a core each. It might be worth the extra $100.

Microcenter had a walk-in deal on a i7-930 for $199. If you can snag one of those, it would be a bargain and superior to the 750 at a similar price.

Lastly, I recommend that you install your oem cooler up front.
If you install later, you will have to remove the motherboard first. I hate to do that to a working system.
Even if you do not overclock, your cpu will run cooler and quieter,
If you do overclock, a good cooler lets you go higher and easier.

The only aftermarket cooker for a PC I can think of is Fermi, and unless you can take advantage of CUDA, you certainly don't need to pay for that much graphics muscle.

:kaola: :whistle: :D