Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is an SSD worth it

Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2012 3:59:26 AM

I have a Lenovo ideapad y560 laptop that currently has a 500gb 7200rpm hdd and I only like a little less then 200gb, because i store a lot of stuff on my 1tb wd external hdd (music, photos... )

I do a lot of computer usage, I program games, I do a lot of stuff for school, I play games, I use the internet and I draw sometimes in Photoshop.

I find my computer really fast but it takes time to open applications and to start up. So I've been considering to upgrade to an SSD, there's a sale for the Samsung 840 256Gb newegg.ca for 160$ right now so I might buy that. My question is would an SSD really do that much of a difference, I have a 7200rpm drive, and if there's only a couple seconds difference I wouldn't bother, but if I can save 5-10seconds every time I open an application it would be worth it considering I constantly open and close applications. Startup is also slow, like 2-3minutes before it has been started and all the start up programs start.

I've recently upgraded to windows 8 which made me reinstall all my applications and games, so clean install is not an, i just did it

So final question is, is an SSD worth it(minimum 240gb) I don't have a big buget, 200$ it's probably my Max, and if an SSD is not worth it, would a 10000rpm or a hybrid drive be worth it?

System specs:
Lenovo ideapad y560
Windows 8 pro
Intel I7(1.7-1.9 not sure)
8gb of ram
Graphic with 1gb (I think its amd radeon not sure sorry)
500Ggb hdd (i think it's sandisk)
1tb external hdd (western digital my passport)

I think that's it for specs

Oh and if and ssd is worth, would the 840(not pro) be good, newegg also had the crucial M4 256gb for 180$(i can really findthe 840pro or 830 in ant canadian store)

P.S. sorry for spelling wrote this at 1:50am on my phone with a new keyboard that I downloaded on my phone that has a messed up auto correct

More about : ssd worth

Best solution

December 28, 2012 5:58:01 AM

I'll give you the straight answer first, then elaborate. Yes, it is worth it. Absolutely, 100%.

You already have a very nice system- if you have any desire whatsoever to make it more responsive, there is nothing you could do that would even come close to approaching an SSD's level of perceivable improvement. I'll use the example of my spare computer, which is an old Acer 4730z laptop that came with a Pentium T3400 dual core processor and 3gb of DDR2 memory. Moving to an SSD changed my boot times on that slow of platform from around 2 minutes for Windows 7 32-bit on a 7200rpm drive, to being faster than the previous "wake" delay when coming out of sleep mode. At most, i would say 10-15 seconds. Programs launch before I am finished with a double-click, and folders with thousands of pictures load thumbnails without wait time. And this is using a cheesy 128gb Kingston V+200 SSD that I picked up for next to nothing.

With your system specs, the only time I imagine you are feeling any sort of wait is when the hard drive is searching for data. Random read/write speeds for a 7200rpm 500gb drive would be around 1mb/s read and 2mb/s write, at best. The SSD you are looking at could be expected to benchmark around 25mb/s random read and 90mb/s random write from what I can pull up in a quick search. It's not the sequential speed of an SSD vs a HDD that makes it worthwhile, it's the ability to instantly find and access data relative to spinning drives.

Do it. :D 
December 28, 2012 2:00:14 PM

Huge +1 to the above post. I've just installed an SSD into my ageing desktop and it will (in every day use not anything under load) leave most new machines on standard HDD's in the dust. It boots in literally 20 seconds and office apps, IE, explorer windows are instanty loaded. The only stuff I need to wait for now are games.
Related resources
December 28, 2012 2:05:25 PM

Best answer selected by spiritofcreativiry.
a b G Storage
December 28, 2012 2:14:11 PM

Poprin said:
Huge +1 to the above post. I've just installed an SSD into my ageing desktop and it will (in every day use not anything under load) leave most new machines on standard HDD's in the dust. It boots in literally 20 seconds and office apps, IE, explorer windows are instanty loaded. The only stuff I need to wait for now are games.

As an aside, Steam now allows you to create libraries on separate disks, I only assume it will allow you to transfer them between libraries somehow, if you are looking to keep your primary game(s) on your SSD, and you use steam of course (Steam Mover was necessary previously).
December 28, 2012 9:45:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!