Xeon for gaming

G

Hello,
My company sells old server to the staff and the've been putting in xeon's lately and I want to know whenthey pull them out, how good they will be for gaming..this is the first thread thsad that came up in google

Xeons work fine for gaming, but sometimes you can't overclock them with the server chipset on the motherboard. If you want to game, be sure the motherboard has a pci-e 8x or 16x slot and the power supply has the 6 pin pci-e connector required for many newer video cards. Check the video card specs and power requirements before ordering. Some high end cards require a power supply upgrade.

Hello,
My company sells old server to the staff and the've been putting in xeon's lately and I want to know whenthey pull them out, how good they will be for gaming..this is the first thread thsad that came up in google

It depends on what Xeons they are selling and what motherboard you put them in. For gaming, you want a Core 2 or Nehalem-based Xeon with a decently-high clock speed and a motherboard with a PCI Express x16 slot for your GPU.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I personally run a Xeon in my computer. I purchased the Xeon E3110 when it was first released. It's essentially the same processor as the Intel E8400. At the time the E8400 was so hard to come by and the E3110 was actually cheaper.

I've been running it for nearly 3 years, runs cool overclocks fine.