Display driver AMD has crashed.....

zev

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
.. but has successfully recovered.

Anyone able to fix this issue with their computers? I have tried everything from reinstalling drivers to full format to switching in a new video card to memtest to CPU stress testing. Nothing has helped, this isn't a new issue for 5xxx but no one seems to have a solution to fix it. Maybe someone here does.

system specs

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800
Seasonic M12II 620W EPS12V
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
XFX Radeon HD 5850 HD585XZAFC 725MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.0GHZ

only thing left for me to try is replace the motherboard, see if that's an issue.

zev

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
tried all the drivers out there. I got the card in June, so at that time it was what, 10.5? I've tried 10.6 and currently running 10.7.

Obviously done all the things like uninstalling driver, running driver sweeper to clean out anything left behind and reinstalled drivers. Contacted XFX about this issue and they ran me through a couple of things, but seeing as how 3 different ATI cards all give me the same issue, I doubt its a problem with the card.

I have tried 2 different XFX 5850s and 1 Sapphire 5870.

I had this happen to me a few times over the weekend. I then opened up ATi Overdrive, and saw the temps were getting high. I looked down at the bottom of the window and saw the custome fan setting was checked on accident, and kept the fan at 20% instead of being auto controlled which allows it to increase as needed.

Turns out the driver was failing due to overheating. I then changed the custom fan setting to 35% just incase I accidentally checked it again, then I turned it back to auto controlled.

zev

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

I have CCC open all the time and my temp never goes past 60C. I keep the fan at 50% constant so I don't think its overheating at all, unless like high 50s would cause this issue with 3 different cards. The CCC could be giving me a wrong reading but I also have a seperate program that I use to check temperature and voltages, and the 2 values are the same as each other.

zev

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
This problem doesnt happen unless I am in a game. I run world of warcraft in windowed mode and it does this, I run starcraft 2 in full screen and it does this, I run team fortress 2 full screen and it does this. There is no particular reason or time that it happens as far as I can tell. It just happens randomly, sometimes I could be playing for hours with no error message, sometimes it would happen every 2-3 minutes.

My screen would flicker, then freeze, then go a solid colour (I've seen many different colours, green, blue whatever), turn black and then it would recover to whatever I was doing before.

If I have the video card fan turned up 100%, I can actually hear the fan go off and on for a split second as its trying to recover from the error.

I've also had this issue when I overclocked my memory on the GPU. Unforunately, ATi Overdrive does not monitor the temperatures of your GPU's memory. However, at stock settings, it "rarely" happens, and at 50 below stock memory clocks, it never happens.

The flickering, followed by the solid color (used to be vertical lines), usually is caused by overheating of the v-ram.

zev

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

makes sense but i dont overclock anything, everything is stock. Kinda retarded that I have to underclock my video to get around this issue. So I guess I should point a fan at my card?

Maybe a little, but typically, the fans are designed to blow through the heatsink mounted on the GPU, but the vram just gets these insullated tape strips applied to them, and do not touch that heatsink.