Laptop as HTPC?

All,

I have been searching a lot for a HTPC configuration( mainly the CPU and MotherBoard). I have seen a couple of configs for Desktop PCs. Most important stuff for me are:
1. Watch HD Videos(may Stream over Network)
2. Normal Web surf

No gaming at all

I am thinking in a different direction. Why can't we use the Laptops as HTPC? I am planning to connect the laptop to My Sony Bravia TV.
The latest laptops are pretty enough to play 1080p Video. isn't it? Please share your thoughts.

A sample spec of the laptop is:

Dell Inspiron 14R Laptop (T540610IN8)
which has:
Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor (2.4GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
3GB (1 X 1GB + 1 X 2GB) 2 DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz
320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
14.0 Widescreen HD WLED Glossy Display with TrueLife™ (1366x768)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 - 1GB (India)

CodeM@sters
5 answers Last reply
More about laptop htpc
  1. Laptop would work fine!
  2. That should play 1080P video just fine. Laptops by virtue of their small stature are more expensive, but I imagine that an HTPC will not be its sole purpose.
  3. Quote:

Dell Inspiron 14R Laptop (T540610IN8)
    which has:
    Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor (2.4GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
    3GB (1 X 1GB + 1 X 2GB) 2 DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz
    320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
    14.0 Widescreen HD WLED Glossy Display with TrueLife™ (1366x768)
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 - 1GB (India)

Yup. That will work. HOWEVER, try and get 2x2GB. It's kind of a waste no to do it as if you do decide to get 4GB total RAM down the road, you are essentially wasting that 1GB DIMM (unless you sell it,etc).
  4. If you need portability, get a laptop.

For a home theater, I don't think so. The specs are fine. Perhaps excepting the quality of sound, and your ability to use discrete speakers.

Laptops will also use a 9 pin vga output, not HDMI, or even DVI. If you use a external monitor or TV, I think the lid of the laptop needs to stay open which could be a distraction. If you close the lid, the laptop goes into suspend.

Lastly, I think it will cost you less for a small PC.
  5. Thanks everyone. I thought Laptop is better because of its, Low noise, small size and portability. Also I have an offer to get the laptop @ 50% discount :)
    Regarding the lid[If you close the lid, the laptop goes into suspend. ] -> I believe this is configurable. I have seen my friends working with this lid closed.

@ Shadow703793: Thanks ..Yeah its worth opting for 4 GB of Ram.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Laptops Systems