Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Single band antenna vs. dual band antenna?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 22, 2010 4:03:40 PM

Antenna question...

One of my clients is of the opinion that a single-band 5GHz-only Wi-Fi antenna will perform better than a dual-band 2.4/5GHz atenna.

Is there any technical evidence to validate this?

Thanks.

Removed e-mail address to protect you from spam
July 22, 2010 9:57:51 PM

wilsenack said:
Antenna question...

One of my clients is of the opinion that a single-band 5GHz-only Wi-Fi antenna will perform better than a dual-band 2.4/5GHz atenna.

Is there any technical evidence to validate this?

Thanks.

Removed e-mail address to protect you from spam

It depends on the quality of the router good routers have little to no performance hit. I know D-Link has a gaming router with 3 antennaes that support 5ghz and 2.4ghz which is one of the top rated routers in performance.
m
l
July 23, 2010 12:13:59 AM

Well, it also depends on the clients antenna, because if it doesn't even support 5GHz, then you probably wont see a performance gain. Also look into MiMo, MiMo has several antennas that work seperatly to send and receive data, drastically making things faster.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 1:41:25 AM

thegamingbeast said:
Well, it also depends on the clients antenna, because if it doesn't even support 5GHz, then you probably wont see a performance gain. Also look into MiMo, MiMo has several antennas that work seperatly to send and receive data, drastically making things faster.

QOS speeds things up, deciding what functions get prioritized
m
l

Best solution

July 28, 2010 4:46:15 PM

I've recently done a lot of research on routers and they are significantly more complicated that they appear.

To begin with, I believe 5GHz is Wireless N which has greater range and strength than 2.4GHz which is Wireless G. Of course some early routers claiming some sort of Wireless N broadcast at 2.4.

Next comes the question of what is meant by "dual band" ie 2.4/5. Some routers can only broadcast on one band at a time but can broadcast at 2.4 or 5.

Then there are routers that can broadcast on two bands simulataneously (sp?).

So the question then is does any of this matter? Probably not. What matters is the signal strength of the router, what sort of interference there is, the quality of the antenna, the receiving card, and dozens of other factors.

Bottom line: If it works for you, great.

Then again I may be missing the point entirely.
September 7, 2010 12:08:03 AM

Best answer selected by buwish.
m
l
!