MS scanner and camera wizard problem

August 1, 2005 6:19:09 AM

Can someone please explain this in plain non-techie English? My Microsoft
Camera and scanner Wizard no longer comes up when I insert the FLASH-CARD
from my HP digital camera in the FLASH-DRIVE on my PC. Nothing happens now!
It worked great for 2 years.

How do I get the wizard back so I can unload my camera using the flash-card
in the flashdrive?

I have WXP-Home/SP2. I downloaded some XP security updates but don't know
if they caused the problem.

Thanks........
August 1, 2005 8:12:11 PM

Model of digi cam?
Tried the other way, installing your digi cam software, as per HP bumph.
ie not relying on winxp to do it for you?

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o EihQlmlFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Can someone please explain this in plain non-techie English? My Microsoft
> Camera and scanner Wizard no longer comes up when I insert the FLASH-CARD
> from my HP digital camera in the FLASH-DRIVE on my PC. Nothing happens
now!
> It worked great for 2 years.
>
> How do I get the wizard back so I can unload my camera using the
flash-card
> in the flashdrive?
>
> I have WXP-Home/SP2. I downloaded some XP security updates but don't know
> if they caused the problem.
>
> Thanks........

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:06:13 AM

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> Model of digi cam?

## HP 315.

> Tried the other way, installing your digi cam software, as per HP bumph.

## The software was installed using the HP camera's CD. What is a bumph?
This camera and the MS wizard worked perfectly together for 23 months -
until I installed a critical update. But I don't know which one.

> ie not relying on winxp to do it for you?

## Not when we have CDs that come with hardware........

FS~

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:o EihQlmlFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Can someone please explain this in plain non-techie English? My
>> Microsoft
>> Camera and scanner Wizard no longer comes up when I insert the FLASH-CARD
>> from my HP digital camera in the FLASH-DRIVE on my PC. Nothing happens
> now!
>> It worked great for 2 years.
>>
>> How do I get the wizard back so I can unload my camera using the
> flash-card
>> in the flashdrive?
>>
>> I have WXP-Home/SP2. I downloaded some XP security updates but don't
>> know
>> if they caused the problem.
>>
>> Thanks........

Related resources
August 2, 2005 3:24:58 PM

Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
updateing to work with SP2

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > Model of digi cam?
>
> ## HP 315.
>
> > Tried the other way, installing your digi cam software, as per HP bumph.
>
> ## The software was installed using the HP camera's CD. What is a bumph?
> This camera and the MS wizard worked perfectly together for 23 months -
> until I installed a critical update. But I don't know which one.
>
> > ie not relying on winxp to do it for you?
>
> ## Not when we have CDs that come with hardware........
>
> FS~
> >
> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > news:o EihQlmlFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Can someone please explain this in plain non-techie English? My
> >> Microsoft
> >> Camera and scanner Wizard no longer comes up when I insert the
FLASH-CARD
> >> from my HP digital camera in the FLASH-DRIVE on my PC. Nothing happens
> > now!
> >> It worked great for 2 years.
> >>
> >> How do I get the wizard back so I can unload my camera using the
> > flash-card
> >> in the flashdrive?
> >>
> >> I have WXP-Home/SP2. I downloaded some XP security updates but don't
> >> know
> >> if they caused the problem.
> >>
> >> Thanks........

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:54:07 AM

> Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
> Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
> updateing to work with SP2
==============
Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to bring
up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the flashdrive.
Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265 camera is
a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.

FS~

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>> > Model of digi cam?
>>
>> ## HP 315.
>>
>> > Tried the other way, installing your digi cam software, as per HP
>> > bumph.
>>
>> ## The software was installed using the HP camera's CD. What is a bumph?
>> This camera and the MS wizard worked perfectly together for 23 months -
>> until I installed a critical update. But I don't know which one.
>>
>> > ie not relying on winxp to do it for you?
>>
>> ## Not when we have CDs that come with hardware........
>>
>> FS~
>> >
>> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > news:o EihQlmlFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> FLASH-CARD
>> > now!

>> > flash-card

August 3, 2005 8:08:40 PM

I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers
What make of Flash drive is it?
What make/model PC or mobo
Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting to
allow win to reinstall?
Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
simply blame the o/s

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
> > Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
> > updateing to work with SP2
> ==============
> Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to
bring
> up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the flashdrive.
> Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265 camera
is
> a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
> downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
> caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.
>
> FS~
>
> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> >>
> >> ## HP 315.

> >> ## The software was installed using the HP camera's CD. What is a
bumph?
> >> This camera and the MS wizard worked perfectly together for 23 months -
> >> until I installed a critical update. But I don't know which one.

> >> ## Not when we have CDs that come with hardware........
> >>
> >> FS~

> > FLASH-CARD

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:26:23 AM

>I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers

## The only software driver I found was for the camera itself, not the PC or
flash-card.

> What make of Flash drive is it?

## It just says "Smart Media Compact Flash." The PC itself is a HP.

> What make/model PC or mobo

## Mobo unknown but I can look that up. The model is a HP a250n. (The
camera is also a HP.)

> Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting to
> allow win to reinstall?

## No! I never thought of that. How/where do I find win-hardware? I'm
willing to try it for all the hours of time the wizard saves me when working
with pics. I sure can't screw it up any worse. :-)

> Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
> simply blame the o/s

## No. I have it over 2 years now. I'd pay out the Kazoo if I called HP
for info...... and yes, the OS is usually blamed - or the Critical Updates.
They have you uninstall all of them first,... I don't even want to go there.

FS~

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>> > Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
>> > Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
>> > updateing to work with SP2
>> ==============
>> Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to
> bring
>> up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the flashdrive.
>> Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265 camera
> is
>> a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
>> downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
>> caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.
>>
>> FS~
>>
>> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

> bumph?

>> > FLASH-CARD

> don't

August 4, 2005 3:22:14 PM

The HP site, for your PC, list numerous updates, including Bios and an
update for the KYE 6 in 1 Card reader.
There is also an HP article on card reader problems.

To remove, in win, the device;
Start/Control Panel
Double click 'System'
In new Sys window, Hardware tab
Device Manager Btn
Look for the KYE card reader, in the resulting device listing. You may have
to click "+" to expand a branch.
When Found, highlight, uninstall, then reboot sys

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> >I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers
>
> ## The only software driver I found was for the camera itself, not the PC
or
> flash-card.
>
> > What make of Flash drive is it?
>
> ## It just says "Smart Media Compact Flash." The PC itself is a HP.
>
> > What make/model PC or mobo
>
> ## Mobo unknown but I can look that up. The model is a HP a250n. (The
> camera is also a HP.)
>
> > Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting to
> > allow win to reinstall?
>
> ## No! I never thought of that. How/where do I find win-hardware? I'm
> willing to try it for all the hours of time the wizard saves me when
working
> with pics. I sure can't screw it up any worse. :-)
>
> > Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
> > simply blame the o/s
>
> ## No. I have it over 2 years now. I'd pay out the Kazoo if I called HP
> for info...... and yes, the OS is usually blamed - or the Critical
Updates.
> They have you uninstall all of them first,... I don't even want to go
there.

> FS~
> >
> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> >> ==============
> >> Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to
> > bring
> >> up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the
flashdrive.
> >> Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265
camera
> > is
> >> a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
> >> downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
> >> caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.
> >>
> >> FS~

> > bumph?

> > don't

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:13:54 AM

> The HP site, for your PC, list numerous updates, including Bios

## I can't afford the $150+ the PC techs charge here to flash the BIOS.

and an
> update for the KYE 6 in 1 Card reader.

## What would that have to do with the MS wizard?

> There is also an HP article on card reader problems.

## For the MS wizard????

> To remove, in win, the device;
> Start/Control Panel
> Double click 'System'
> In new Sys window, Hardware tab
> Device Manager Btn

## OK. I have that open now.

> Look for the KYE card reader, in the resulting device listing.

## Even expansing or extending them there is no KYE readers of any kind.

You may have
> to click "+" to expand a branch.

## Yes, I did that. Are you talking about a Generic USB readers under Disk
Drives? There are 4 of those under Disk Drives but none are KYEs.

> When Found, highlight, uninstall, then reboot sys

## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers" with
everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader, MS
reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right from
the Device Manager window.

FS~

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>> >I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers
>>
>> ## The only software driver I found was for the camera itself, not the PC
> or
>> flash-card.
>>
>> > What make of Flash drive is it?
>>
>> ## It just says "Smart Media Compact Flash." The PC itself is a HP.
>>
>> > What make/model PC or mobo
>>
>> ## Mobo unknown but I can look that up. The model is a HP a250n. (The
>> camera is also a HP.)
>>
>> > Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting
>> > allow win to reinstall?
>>
>> ## No! I never thought of that. How/where do I find win-hardware? I'm
>> willing to try it for all the hours of time the wizard saves me when
> working
>> with pics. I sure can't screw it up any worse. :-)
>>
>> > Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
>> > simply blame the o/s
>>
>> ## No. I have it over 2 years now. I'd pay out the Kazoo if I called
>> HP
>> for info...... and yes, the OS is usually blamed - or the Critical
> Updates.
>> They have you uninstall all of them first,... I don't even want to go
> there.
>>
>> FS~
>> >
>> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

> require
>> > bring
> flashdrive.
> camera
>> > is

>> > bumph?

>> > don't

August 5, 2005 1:33:50 PM

The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could be
for a number of reasons.
ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues

delete all these, then reboot

> ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers" with
> everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader, MS
> reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
from
> the Device Manager window.

Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what does
it list?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:21:03 PM

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
news:o HEAheZmFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could be
> for a number of reasons.
> ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
>
> delete all these, then reboot
>
>> ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers" with
>> everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader, MS
>> reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
> from
>> the Device Manager window.
>
> Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
> does
> it list?

DL, you've got the patience of a saint...

....but consider this: the normal, expected behavior of an XP system to a
flash card, memory stick, or whatever, would be to recognize that item as a
removable drive, a solid state drive, or whatever terminology the particular
computer uses. A memory card is just that...a generic removable storage
device -- it is not necessarily from a camera, and as such, the camera and
scanner wizard popping up would be the wrong behavior for Windows.

If the camera and scanner wizard was popping up before, it had to be
something that was installed for the camera, or perhaps something written on
the memory stick that changed the default behavior (removable drive) to
having the camera and scanner wizard appear.

So, trying to fix the "problem" through Windows probably isn't going to get
you anywhere as Windows is doing as Windows is supposed to do -- it's
"seeing" a removable drive. If the OP wants a different behavior or override
the normal Windows behavior, the OP is going to need to reinstall/update
whatever program or file caused the change to begin with.
August 6, 2005 12:33:31 AM

Yea, suggested the reinstall
OP claims to have done this as per.
Suggested updates OP doesnt seem to want to, seems to think the wizard works
on its own
cest la vie

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> news:o HEAheZmFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
be
> > for a number of reasons.
> > ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
> >
> > delete all these, then reboot
> >
> >> ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers"
with
> >> everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader,
MS
> >> reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
> > from
> >> the Device Manager window.
> >
> > Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
> > does
> > it list?
> >

> DL, you've got the patience of a saint...
>
> ...but consider this: the normal, expected behavior of an XP system to a
> flash card, memory stick, or whatever, would be to recognize that item as
> removable drive, a solid state drive, or whatever terminology the
particular
> computer uses. A memory card is just that...a generic removable storage
> device -- it is not necessarily from a camera, and as such, the camera and
> scanner wizard popping up would be the wrong behavior for Windows.
>
> If the camera and scanner wizard was popping up before, it had to be
> something that was installed for the camera, or perhaps something written
on
> the memory stick that changed the default behavior (removable drive) to
> having the camera and scanner wizard appear.
>
> So, trying to fix the "problem" through Windows probably isn't going to
get
> you anywhere as Windows is doing as Windows is supposed to do -- it's
> "seeing" a removable drive. If the OP wants a different behavior or
override
> the normal Windows behavior, the OP is going to need to reinstall/update
> whatever program or file caused the change to begin with.

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:10:59 AM

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o sNxmskmFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>> news:o HEAheZmFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
>>> be
>>> for a number of reasons.
>>> ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
>>>
>>> delete all these, then reboot

>>> from
>>>
>>> Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
>>> does
>>> it list?
>>>

>> DL, you've got the patience of a saint...
>>
>> ...but consider this: the normal, expected behavior of an XP system to a
>> flash card, memory stick, or whatever, would be to recognize that item as
>> a removable drive, a solid state drive, or whatever terminology the
>> particular computer uses. A memory card is just that...a generic
>> removable storage device -- it is not necessarily from a camera, and as
>> such, the camera and scanner wizard popping up would be the wrong
>> behavior for Windows.
>
> ## When the flash-stick from the camera was inserted before, a window came
> up asking me what I wanted to do and I would choose "Copy pictures to
> folder using MS scanner and Camera wizard." The wizard then came up and
> took over from there....... Now when I make that selection the wizard
> does not come up.
>
>> If the camera and scanner wizard was popping up before, it had to be
>> something that was installed for the camera, or perhaps something written
>> on the memory stick that changed the default behavior (removable drive)
>> to having the camera and scanner wizard appear.
>
> ## See above.
>
>> So, trying to fix the "problem" through Windows probably isn't going to
>> get you anywhere as Windows is doing as Windows is supposed to do -- it's
>> "seeing" a removable drive. If the OP wants a different behavior or
>> override the normal Windows behavior, the OP is going to need to
>> reinstall/update whatever program or file caused the change to begin
>> with.
>
> ## The only changes were the MS updates. I haven't added or changed
> anything on this PC to cause this problem. I've added no new software nor
> have I deleted any before the problem started. I reinstalled the cameras
> software but that didn't help. The wizard no longer comes up when
> selected.
>
> Perhaps I'm not explaining the problem clearly enough.
>
> FS~

All along you've been saying that you want the Camera and Scanner wizard to
automatically pop up when you insert a flash disk; now what you're saying is
that you want the box that pops up and offers you choices as to what to
do -- open a folder, run the wizard, etc. etc. That's a completely different
thing.

So no, you haven't been explaining the problem clearly.
August 6, 2005 3:41:26 PM

There have been posts in other groups of problems with the HP supplied card
reader.
If your Epsom scanner isnt listed, then it would appear not to have been
installed correctly

Presumably your HP camera was supplied with a cable to directly connect to a
usb port?
With the camera switched on - card in, connect this.
If your HP Camera software was correctly installed a seperate window/app
should start. This will be a HP Camera specific app - not any winxp wizard -

If nothing happens, either your camera software isnt installed correctly, or
with the camera switched on go back to Control Panel/Camera Scanner,
highlight the entry for the Camera, right click properties. In the resulting
window 'test'
What does it say?

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> news:o HEAheZmFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
be
> > for a number of reasons.
> > ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
> >
> > delete all these, then reboot
> >
> >> ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers"
with
> >> everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader,
MS
> >> reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
> > from
> >> the Device Manager window.
>

> > Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
> > does
> > it list?
>
> ## It lists my HP Photosmart 350 and my Logitech QuickCam Messenger
Camera.
> I don't see my Epson scanner listed.
>
> FS~

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:19:45 AM

> There have been posts in other groups of problems with the HP supplied
> card
> reader.
> If your Epsom scanner isnt listed, then it would appear not to have been
> installed correctly

$$ What makes you say that since it's worked on this PC as long as the
camera has? I have the parser from Epson for it to work with XP. *I just
checked it to make sure it's working - it is!!! :-))) I don't use the
scanner as much now that I have the digital camera.

> Presumably your HP camera was supplied with a cable to directly connect to
> usb port?

$$ Yes. That was used before I got the PC with XP-Home. We don't like
using the cable because it really drains the batteries down.

> With the camera switched on - card in, connect this.
> If your HP Camera software was correctly installed a seperate window/app
> should start. This will be a HP Camera specific app - not any winxp
> wizard -

$$ Yes, that window comes up (as long as I don't check the box saying to
remember to do this action each time - now) but if I select the "MS scanner
and camera wizard" as I've done for the past 2 years, it does not come up
anymore. I have to download and delete all the pics manually, then name the
group, etc. It takes forever compared to the speed of the MS wizard.

> If nothing happens, either your camera software isnt installed correctly,
> or
> with the camera switched on go back to Control Panel/Camera Scanner,
> highlight the entry for the Camera, right click properties.
In the resulting
> window 'test'
> What does it say?

$$ I can't test it that way. I can't click on *properties* because as soon
as I click on Control Panel/Camera Scanner a window opens where I can
download the pics manually. Nothing there to click on that says properties.
No window asking me what I want to do, and no MS wizard. If I insert the
*flash stick* that window comes up - but then no MS wizard!!! IOWs, to get
the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the flash-stick.
If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera. If
I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it says
that the properties are not available. So how you get to see properties
with this camera is a mystery to me!

FS~

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>> news:o HEAheZmFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
> be
>> > for a number of reasons.
>> > ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
>> >
>> > delete all these, then reboot

> with
> MS
>> > from
>>

>> > Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
>> > does
>> > it list?
>>
>> ## It lists my HP Photosmart 350 and my Logitech QuickCam Messenger
> Camera.
>> I don't see my Epson scanner listed.
>>
>> FS~

August 7, 2005 9:57:24 PM

This was posted as a possible fix, in another ng

'Autoplay Repair Wizard' (http://tinyurl.com/5s4x7)

> [...]
> the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the
flash-stick.
> If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
> where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera.
If
> I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it
says
> that the properties are not available. So how you get to see properties
> with this camera is a mystery to me!
>
> FS~
>
> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> >> news:o HEAheZmFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > be

> > with
> > MS

> >> ## It lists my HP Photosmart 350 and my Logitech QuickCam Messenger

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:09:45 AM

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
news:o 2lS6D3mFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This was posted as a possible fix, in another ng
================================
Why is it saying service pacl 1 when I have SP2 installed?
This is what happened:

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2005-08-09 00:04:47]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 1) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [H:\, Drive Type: 0]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [H:\, Drive Type: 0]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is
malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is
malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

Before this I downloaded and installed the fix for C:\ = now the window
asking what I want to do doesn't come up.

FS~

> [...]
> soon
>> as I click on Control Panel/Camera Scanner a window opens where I can
>> download the pics manually. Nothing there to click on that says
> properties.
>> No window asking me what I want to do, and no MS wizard. If I insert the
>> *flash stick* that window comes up - but then no MS wizard!!! IOWs, to
> get
>> the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the
> flash-stick.
>> If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
>> where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera.
> If
>> I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it
> says
>> that the properties are not available. So how you get to see properties

August 9, 2005 3:24:11 PM

It appears to be saying drive H, I assume this is your card reader isnt
working/has an unidentifiable fault.
As I said before, I have seen reports of problems with the card reader
supplied on your sys.

Personnally I simply use usb from my camera, and use rechargable batteries
for that. But maybe I dont use it as much as you?
Considered buying an external usb reader, or do you have one you could
borrow, to test on your sys?
I dont know about your side of the pond, but here a retailer would refund me
if it did'nt work

"Before this I downloaded and installed the fix for C:\ ="
I have no idea what your refering to - sorry

> [...]
> > soon
> >> as I click on Control Panel/Camera Scanner a window opens where I can
> >> download the pics manually. Nothing there to click on that says
> > properties.
> >> No window asking me what I want to do, and no MS wizard. If I insert
the
> >> *flash stick* that window comes up - but then no MS wizard!!! IOWs,
> > get
> >> the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the
> > flash-stick.
> >> If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
> >> where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera.
> > If
> >> I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it
> > says
> >> that the properties are not available. So how you get to see

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:10:29 AM

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
news:o LsU8xMnFHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It appears to be saying drive H, I assume this is your card reader isnt
> working/has an unidentifiable fault.
> As I said before, I have seen reports of problems with the card reader
> supplied on your sys.
>
> Personnally I simply use usb from my camera, and use rechargable batteries
> for that. But maybe I dont use it as much as you?
> Considered buying an external usb reader, or do you have one you could
> borrow, to test on your sys?
> I dont know about your side of the pond, but here a retailer would refund
> me
> if it did'nt work

## H drive is the flash-card reader. I guess I'll just have to download
them manually from now on. What a king size pain in the (_|_) that is.
:-( The flash drive does work because I can go to WE and click on H
drive - and unload the card that way. So it does work and does see the jpg
files on the flash card.

> "Before this I downloaded and installed the fix for C:\ ="
> I have no idea what your refering to - sorry

## There was a "fix" at that website. I hoped it may help - it didn't.
Thanks for all your help. You and Sharon have the patience of saints.

FS~

!