MS scanner and camera wizard problem

Can someone please explain this in plain non-techie English? My Microsoft
Camera and scanner Wizard no longer comes up when I insert the FLASH-CARD
from my HP digital camera in the FLASH-DRIVE on my PC. Nothing happens now!
It worked great for 2 years.

How do I get the wizard back so I can unload my camera using the flash-card
in the flashdrive?

I have WXP-Home/SP2. I downloaded some XP security updates but don't know
if they caused the problem.

Thanks........
18 answers Last reply
More about scanner camera wizard problem

    Model of digi cam?
    Tried the other way, installing your digi cam software, as per HP bumph.
    ie not relying on winxp to do it for you?

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Model of digi cam?

    ## HP 315.

    > Tried the other way, installing your digi cam software, as per HP bumph.

    ## The software was installed using the HP camera's CD. What is a bumph?
    This camera and the MS wizard worked perfectly together for 23 months -
    until I installed a critical update. But I don't know which one.

    > ie not relying on winxp to do it for you?

    ## Not when we have CDs that come with hardware........

    FS~

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Can someone please explain this in plain non-techie English? My
    >> Microsoft
    >> Camera and scanner Wizard no longer comes up when I insert the FLASH-CARD
    >> from my HP digital camera in the FLASH-DRIVE on my PC. Nothing happens
    > now!
    >> It worked great for 2 years.
    >>
    >> How do I get the wizard back so I can unload my camera using the
    > flash-card
    >> in the flashdrive?
    >>
    >> I have WXP-Home/SP2. I downloaded some XP security updates but don't
    >> know
    >> if they caused the problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks........

    Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
    Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
    updateing to work with SP2

    > Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
    > Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
    > updateing to work with SP2
    ==============
    Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to bring
    up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the flashdrive.
    Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265 camera is
    a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
    downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
    caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.

    FS~

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> > Model of digi cam?
    >>
    >> ## HP 315.
    >>
    >> > Tried the other way, installing your digi cam software, as per HP
    >> > bumph.
    >>
    >> ## The software was installed using the HP camera's CD. What is a bumph?
    >> This camera and the MS wizard worked perfectly together for 23 months -
    >> until I installed a critical update. But I don't know which one.
    >>
    >> > ie not relying on winxp to do it for you?
    >>
    >> ## Not when we have CDs that come with hardware........
    >>
    >> FS~
    >> >
    >> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > FLASH-CARD
    >> > now!

    >> > flash-card

    I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers
    What make of Flash drive is it?
    What make/model PC or mobo
    Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting to
    allow win to reinstall?
    Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
    simply blame the o/s

    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > > Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
    > > Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
    > > updateing to work with SP2
    > ==============
    > Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to
    bring
    > up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the flashdrive.
    > Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265 camera
    is
    > a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
    > downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
    > caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.
    >
    > FS~
    >
    > > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> ## HP 315.

    > >> ## The software was installed using the HP camera's CD. What is a
    bumph?
    > >> This camera and the MS wizard worked perfectly together for 23 months -
    > >> until I installed a critical update. But I don't know which one.

    > >> ## Not when we have CDs that come with hardware........
    > >>
    > >> FS~

    > > FLASH-CARD

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    >I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers

    ## The only software driver I found was for the camera itself, not the PC or
    flash-card.

    > What make of Flash drive is it?

    ## It just says "Smart Media Compact Flash." The PC itself is a HP.

    > What make/model PC or mobo

    ## Mobo unknown but I can look that up. The model is a HP a250n. (The
    camera is also a HP.)

    > Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting to
    > allow win to reinstall?

    ## No! I never thought of that. How/where do I find win-hardware? I'm
    willing to try it for all the hours of time the wizard saves me when working
    with pics. I sure can't screw it up any worse. :-)

    > Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
    > simply blame the o/s

    ## No. I have it over 2 years now. I'd pay out the Kazoo if I called HP
    for info...... and yes, the OS is usually blamed - or the Critical Updates.
    They have you uninstall all of them first,... I don't even want to go there.

    FS~

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> > Bumph - software/hw instructions ( an English,UK, expression)
    >> > Any updates on HP site? It is not uncommon for apps/drivers to require
    >> > updateing to work with SP2
    >> ==============
    >> Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to
    > bring
    >> up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the flashdrive.
    >> Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265 camera
    > is
    >> a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
    >> downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
    >> caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.
    >>
    >> FS~
    >>
    >> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > bumph?

    >> > FLASH-CARD

    > don't

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    The HP site, for your PC, list numerous updates, including Bios and an
    update for the KYE 6 in 1 Card reader.
    There is also an HP article on card reader problems.

    To remove, in win, the device;
    Start/Control Panel
    Double click 'System'
    In new Sys window, Hardware tab
    Device Manager Btn
    Look for the KYE card reader, in the resulting device listing. You may have
    to click "+" to expand a branch.
    When Found, highlight, uninstall, then reboot sys

    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > >I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers
    >
    > ## The only software driver I found was for the camera itself, not the PC
    or
    > flash-card.
    >
    > > What make of Flash drive is it?
    >
    > ## It just says "Smart Media Compact Flash." The PC itself is a HP.
    >
    > > What make/model PC or mobo
    >
    > ## Mobo unknown but I can look that up. The model is a HP a250n. (The
    > camera is also a HP.)
    >
    > > Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting to
    > > allow win to reinstall?
    >
    > ## No! I never thought of that. How/where do I find win-hardware? I'm
    > willing to try it for all the hours of time the wizard saves me when
    working
    > with pics. I sure can't screw it up any worse. :-)
    >
    > > Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
    > > simply blame the o/s
    >
    > ## No. I have it over 2 years now. I'd pay out the Kazoo if I called HP
    > for info...... and yes, the OS is usually blamed - or the Critical
    Updates.
    > They have you uninstall all of them first,... I don't even want to go
    there.

    > FS~
    > >
    > > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > >> ==============
    > >> Yes, but there is no mention that they're to update the flash-card to
    > > bring
    > >> up the MS camera wizard when the flashcard is inserted in the
    flashdrive.
    > >> Also, it's like flashing the BIOS on a PC, one mistake and my $265
    camera
    > > is
    > >> a door stop. Plus the problem existed before I downloaded SP2. I
    > >> downloaded a few critical updates before that but don't know which one
    > >> caused the problem with the MS wizard/flashdrive.
    > >>
    > >> FS~

    > > bumph?

    > > don't

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > The HP site, for your PC, list numerous updates, including Bios

    ## I can't afford the $150+ the PC techs charge here to flash the BIOS.

    and an
    > update for the KYE 6 in 1 Card reader.

    ## What would that have to do with the MS wizard?

    > There is also an HP article on card reader problems.

    ## For the MS wizard????

    > To remove, in win, the device;
    > Start/Control Panel
    > Double click 'System'
    > In new Sys window, Hardware tab
    > Device Manager Btn

    ## OK. I have that open now.

    > Look for the KYE card reader, in the resulting device listing.

    ## Even expansing or extending them there is no KYE readers of any kind.

    You may have
    > to click "+" to expand a branch.

    ## Yes, I did that. Are you talking about a Generic USB readers under Disk
    Drives? There are 4 of those under Disk Drives but none are KYEs.

    > When Found, highlight, uninstall, then reboot sys

    ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers" with
    everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader, MS
    reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right from
    the Device Manager window.

    FS~

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> >I didnt mean camera firmware, just their software/drivers
    >>
    >> ## The only software driver I found was for the camera itself, not the PC
    > or
    >> flash-card.
    >>
    >> > What make of Flash drive is it?
    >>
    >> ## It just says "Smart Media Compact Flash." The PC itself is a HP.
    >>
    >> > What make/model PC or mobo
    >>
    >> ## Mobo unknown but I can look that up. The model is a HP a250n. (The
    >> camera is also a HP.)
    >>
    >> > Youve tried in win hardware, removing the flash drive, then rebooting
    >> > allow win to reinstall?
    >>
    >> ## No! I never thought of that. How/where do I find win-hardware? I'm
    >> willing to try it for all the hours of time the wizard saves me when
    > working
    >> with pics. I sure can't screw it up any worse. :-)
    >>
    >> > Does your Camera manu offer any Tech support, though they will probably
    >> > simply blame the o/s
    >>
    >> ## No. I have it over 2 years now. I'd pay out the Kazoo if I called
    >> HP
    >> for info...... and yes, the OS is usually blamed - or the Critical
    > Updates.
    >> They have you uninstall all of them first,... I don't even want to go
    > there.
    >>
    >> FS~
    >> >
    >> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > require
    >> > bring
    > flashdrive.
    > camera
    >> > is

    >> > bumph?

    >> > don't

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could be
    for a number of reasons.
    ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues

    delete all these, then reboot

    > ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers" with
    > everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader, MS
    > reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
    from
    > the Device Manager window.

    Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what does
    it list?
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could be
    > for a number of reasons.
    > ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
    >
    > delete all these, then reboot
    >
    >> ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers" with
    >> everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader, MS
    >> reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
    > from
    >> the Device Manager window.
    >
    > Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
    > does
    > it list?

    DL, you've got the patience of a saint...

    ....but consider this: the normal, expected behavior of an XP system to a
    flash card, memory stick, or whatever, would be to recognize that item as a
    removable drive, a solid state drive, or whatever terminology the particular
    computer uses. A memory card is just that...a generic removable storage
    device -- it is not necessarily from a camera, and as such, the camera and
    scanner wizard popping up would be the wrong behavior for Windows.

    If the camera and scanner wizard was popping up before, it had to be
    something that was installed for the camera, or perhaps something written on
    the memory stick that changed the default behavior (removable drive) to
    having the camera and scanner wizard appear.

    So, trying to fix the "problem" through Windows probably isn't going to get
    you anywhere as Windows is doing as Windows is supposed to do -- it's
    "seeing" a removable drive. If the OP wants a different behavior or override
    the normal Windows behavior, the OP is going to need to reinstall/update
    whatever program or file caused the change to begin with.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Yea, suggested the reinstall
    OP claims to have done this as per.
    Suggested updates OP doesnt seem to want to, seems to think the wizard works
    on its own
    cest la vie

    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > > The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
    be
    > > for a number of reasons.
    > > ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
    > >
    > > delete all these, then reboot
    > >
    > >> ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers"
    with
    > >> everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader,
    MS
    > >> reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
    > > from
    > >> the Device Manager window.
    > >
    > > Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
    > > does
    > > it list?
    > >

    > DL, you've got the patience of a saint...
    >
    > ...but consider this: the normal, expected behavior of an XP system to a
    > flash card, memory stick, or whatever, would be to recognize that item as
    > removable drive, a solid state drive, or whatever terminology the
    particular
    > computer uses. A memory card is just that...a generic removable storage
    > device -- it is not necessarily from a camera, and as such, the camera and
    > scanner wizard popping up would be the wrong behavior for Windows.
    >
    > If the camera and scanner wizard was popping up before, it had to be
    > something that was installed for the camera, or perhaps something written
    on
    > the memory stick that changed the default behavior (removable drive) to
    > having the camera and scanner wizard appear.
    >
    > So, trying to fix the "problem" through Windows probably isn't going to
    get
    > you anywhere as Windows is doing as Windows is supposed to do -- it's
    > "seeing" a removable drive. If the OP wants a different behavior or
    override
    > the normal Windows behavior, the OP is going to need to reinstall/update
    > whatever program or file caused the change to begin with.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >>> The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
    >>> be
    >>> for a number of reasons.
    >>> ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
    >>>
    >>> delete all these, then reboot

    >>> from
    >>>
    >>> Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
    >>> does
    >>> it list?
    >>>

    >> DL, you've got the patience of a saint...
    >>
    >> ...but consider this: the normal, expected behavior of an XP system to a
    >> flash card, memory stick, or whatever, would be to recognize that item as
    >> a removable drive, a solid state drive, or whatever terminology the
    >> particular computer uses. A memory card is just that...a generic
    >> removable storage device -- it is not necessarily from a camera, and as
    >> such, the camera and scanner wizard popping up would be the wrong
    >> behavior for Windows.
    >
    > ## When the flash-stick from the camera was inserted before, a window came
    > up asking me what I wanted to do and I would choose "Copy pictures to
    > folder using MS scanner and Camera wizard." The wizard then came up and
    > took over from there....... Now when I make that selection the wizard
    > does not come up.
    >
    >> If the camera and scanner wizard was popping up before, it had to be
    >> something that was installed for the camera, or perhaps something written
    >> on the memory stick that changed the default behavior (removable drive)
    >> to having the camera and scanner wizard appear.
    >
    > ## See above.
    >
    >> So, trying to fix the "problem" through Windows probably isn't going to
    >> get you anywhere as Windows is doing as Windows is supposed to do -- it's
    >> "seeing" a removable drive. If the OP wants a different behavior or
    >> override the normal Windows behavior, the OP is going to need to
    >> reinstall/update whatever program or file caused the change to begin
    >> with.
    >
    > ## The only changes were the MS updates. I haven't added or changed
    > anything on this PC to cause this problem. I've added no new software nor
    > have I deleted any before the problem started. I reinstalled the cameras
    > software but that didn't help. The wizard no longer comes up when
    > selected.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm not explaining the problem clearly enough.
    >
    > FS~

    All along you've been saying that you want the Camera and Scanner wizard to
    automatically pop up when you insert a flash disk; now what you're saying is
    that you want the box that pops up and offers you choices as to what to
    do -- open a folder, run the wizard, etc. etc. That's a completely different
    thing.

    So no, you haven't been explaining the problem clearly.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    There have been posts in other groups of problems with the HP supplied card
    reader.
    If your Epsom scanner isnt listed, then it would appear not to have been
    installed correctly

    Presumably your HP camera was supplied with a cable to directly connect to a
    usb port?
    With the camera switched on - card in, connect this.
    If your HP Camera software was correctly installed a seperate window/app
    should start. This will be a HP Camera specific app - not any winxp wizard -

    If nothing happens, either your camera software isnt installed correctly, or
    with the camera switched on go back to Control Panel/Camera Scanner,
    highlight the entry for the Camera, right click properties. In the resulting
    window 'test'
    What does it say?

    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > > The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
    be
    > > for a number of reasons.
    > > ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
    > >
    > > delete all these, then reboot
    > >
    > >> ## Not there! I looked twice to make sure - no "KYE card readers"
    with
    > >> everything expanded - only USB readers. They are listed as CF reader,
    MS
    > >> reader, SD reader and SM reader. Which should I delete? This is right
    > > from
    > >> the Device Manager window.
    >

    > > Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
    > > does
    > > it list?
    >
    > ## It lists my HP Photosmart 350 and my Logitech QuickCam Messenger
    Camera.
    > I don't see my Epson scanner listed.
    >
    > FS~

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > There have been posts in other groups of problems with the HP supplied
    > card
    > reader.
    > If your Epsom scanner isnt listed, then it would appear not to have been
    > installed correctly

    $$ What makes you say that since it's worked on this PC as long as the
    camera has? I have the parser from Epson for it to work with XP. *I just
    checked it to make sure it's working - it is!!! :-))) I don't use the
    scanner as much now that I have the digital camera.

    > Presumably your HP camera was supplied with a cable to directly connect to
    > usb port?

    $$ Yes. That was used before I got the PC with XP-Home. We don't like
    using the cable because it really drains the batteries down.

    > With the camera switched on - card in, connect this.
    > If your HP Camera software was correctly installed a seperate window/app
    > should start. This will be a HP Camera specific app - not any winxp
    > wizard -

    $$ Yes, that window comes up (as long as I don't check the box saying to
    remember to do this action each time - now) but if I select the "MS scanner
    and camera wizard" as I've done for the past 2 years, it does not come up
    anymore. I have to download and delete all the pics manually, then name the
    group, etc. It takes forever compared to the speed of the MS wizard.

    > If nothing happens, either your camera software isnt installed correctly,
    > or
    > with the camera switched on go back to Control Panel/Camera Scanner,
    > highlight the entry for the Camera, right click properties.
    In the resulting
    > window 'test'
    > What does it say?

    $$ I can't test it that way. I can't click on *properties* because as soon
    as I click on Control Panel/Camera Scanner a window opens where I can
    download the pics manually. Nothing there to click on that says properties.
    No window asking me what I want to do, and no MS wizard. If I insert the
    *flash stick* that window comes up - but then no MS wizard!!! IOWs, to get
    the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the flash-stick.
    If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
    where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera. If
    I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it says
    that the properties are not available. So how you get to see properties
    with this camera is a mystery to me!

    FS~

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> > The wizard is'nt working because it does'nt see any device, which could
    > be
    >> > for a number of reasons.
    >> > ie software/driver/bios/firmware/hw issues
    >> >
    >> > delete all these, then reboot

    > with
    > MS
    >> > from
    >>

    >> > Then in Start/Control Panel look for Camera/Scanner double click, what
    >> > does
    >> > it list?
    >>
    >> ## It lists my HP Photosmart 350 and my Logitech QuickCam Messenger
    > Camera.
    >> I don't see my Epson scanner listed.
    >>
    >> FS~

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    This was posted as a possible fix, in another ng
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

    'Autoplay Repair Wizard' (http://tinyurl.com/5s4x7)

> [...]
    get
    > the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the
    flash-stick.
    > If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
    > where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera.
    If
    > I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it
    says
    > that the properties are not available. So how you get to see properties
    > with this camera is a mystery to me!
    >
    > FS~
    >
    > > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > > be

    > > with
    > > MS

    > >> ## It lists my HP Photosmart 350 and my Logitech QuickCam Messenger

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > This was posted as a possible fix, in another ng
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en
    ================================
    Why is it saying service pacl 1 when I have SP2 installed?
    This is what happened:

    AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
    Time [2005-08-09 00:04:47]
    Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 1) <2600>]

    Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
    Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
    Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

    Test [Policies] - Instance [H:\, Drive Type: 0]:
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
    HKLM\...\Services\!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
    HKLM\...\Services\\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

    Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [H:\, Drive Type: 0]:
    Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
    Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
    Service (Silent)
    Shell (Deaf) }
    >> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
    Step: No steps to take.
    Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is
    malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
    >> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
    Step: No steps to take.
    Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is
    malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

    >> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

    Before this I downloaded and installed the fix for C:\ = now the window
    asking what I want to do doesn't come up.

    FS~

> [...]
    > soon
    >> as I click on Control Panel/Camera Scanner a window opens where I can
    >> download the pics manually. Nothing there to click on that says
    > properties.
    >> No window asking me what I want to do, and no MS wizard. If I insert the
    >> *flash stick* that window comes up - but then no MS wizard!!! IOWs, to
    > get
    >> the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the
    > flash-stick.
    >> If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
    >> where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera.
    > If
    >> I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it
    > says
    >> that the properties are not available. So how you get to see properties

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    It appears to be saying drive H, I assume this is your card reader isnt
    working/has an unidentifiable fault.
    As I said before, I have seen reports of problems with the card reader
    supplied on your sys.

    Personnally I simply use usb from my camera, and use rechargable batteries
    for that. But maybe I dont use it as much as you?
    Considered buying an external usb reader, or do you have one you could
    borrow, to test on your sys?
    I dont know about your side of the pond, but here a retailer would refund me
    if it did'nt work

    "Before this I downloaded and installed the fix for C:\ ="
    I have no idea what your refering to - sorry

> [...]
    > > soon
    > >> as I click on Control Panel/Camera Scanner a window opens where I can
    > >> download the pics manually. Nothing there to click on that says
    > > properties.
    > >> No window asking me what I want to do, and no MS wizard. If I insert
    the
    > >> *flash stick* that window comes up - but then no MS wizard!!! IOWs,
    > > get
    > >> the window to come up asking about the MS wizard I must use the
    > > flash-stick.
    > >> If I use the cable no window comes up at all - a WExp-like window opens
    > >> where I can manually download the pics and delete them from the camera.
    > > If
    > >> I click on *properties* with the camera NOT connected and turned on, it
    > > says
    > >> that the properties are not available. So how you get to see

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > It appears to be saying drive H, I assume this is your card reader isnt
    > working/has an unidentifiable fault.
    > As I said before, I have seen reports of problems with the card reader
    > supplied on your sys.
    >
    > Personnally I simply use usb from my camera, and use rechargable batteries
    > for that. But maybe I dont use it as much as you?
    > Considered buying an external usb reader, or do you have one you could
    > borrow, to test on your sys?
    > I dont know about your side of the pond, but here a retailer would refund
    > me
    > if it did'nt work

    ## H drive is the flash-card reader. I guess I'll just have to download
    them manually from now on. What a king size pain in the (_|_) that is.
    :-( The flash drive does work because I can go to WE and click on H
    drive - and unload the card that way. So it does work and does see the jpg
    files on the flash card.

    > "Before this I downloaded and installed the fix for C:\ ="
    > I have no idea what your refering to - sorry

    ## There was a "fix" at that website. I hoped it may help - it didn't.
    Thanks for all your help. You and Sharon have the patience of saints.

    FS~

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> > This was posted as a possible fix, in another ng
    >> >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en
    >> ================================
    >> Why is it saying service pacl 1 when I have SP2 installed?
    >> This is what happened:
    >>
    >> AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
    >> Time [2005-08-09 00:04:47]
    >> Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 1) <2600>]
    >>
    >> Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
    >> Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
    >> Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK
    >>
    >> Test [Policies] - Instance [H:\, Drive Type: 0]:
    >> Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    >> Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    >> Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
    >> Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    >> Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    >> Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    >> Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
    >> HKLM\...\Services\!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
    >> HKLM\...\Services\\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
    >> HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
    >> HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }
    >>
    >> Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [H:\, Drive Type: 0]:
    >> Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
    >> Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
    >> Service (Silent)
    >> Shell (Deaf) }
    >> Step: No steps to take.
    >> Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is
    >> malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
    >> Step: No steps to take.
    >> Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is
    >> malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

    >> Before this I downloaded and installed the fix for C:\ = now the window
    >> asking what I want to do doesn't come up.
    >>
    >> FS~
    >>

    >> > 'Autoplay Repair Wizard' (http://tinyurl.com/5s4x7)
    >> >
    >> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > supplied

    >> > just
    > the

    > connect

    >> > scanner
    > up
    > name
    >> > the

    >> > correctly,

    >> > soon
    >> > properties.
    > the
    >> > get
    >> > flash-stick.
    >> > If
    >> > says
    > properties

    >> > could

    > readers"
    >> > reader,

    >> > what

Configuration Cameras Scanners Flash Drive Windows XP