Computer running slow and choppy

Arikado

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
About a day ago computer started running slow and choppy for really no reason I can tell... I've uninstalled the nvidia drivers and reinstalled them but it hasn't helped. I've also gotten one blue screen where it shut down to prevent damage. I'm also getting a windows update thing saying there's a problem with your Nvidia Drivers but I tried the windows update but it had a problem and couldn't do it.

What are your full specs? Was it doing a virus scan in the background or something?

Rather than letting windows do the driver update, download the drivers from nVidia, uninstall the old ones, boot in safe mode and run driver sweeper, then install the new driver.

Arikado

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/9/2010, 18:02:31
Machine name: NEKO-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell DXP051
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 861MB used, 5276MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9400 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0641&SUBSYS_0562196E&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2286 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1007 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Arikado

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

I have uninstalled the old ones then I installed the latest drivers. It just started running craptastic I noticed it when I was playing SC2 the game became very choppy and now my whole damn computer is running like ***.

Arikado

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Could something be dieing? That's what it seems like because it's running so slow now and I have no idea why... Also since it started my computer has been using like 90% of it's cpu usage and I have like nothing open and it's idle..

Open up task manage, go to processes, set it to see processes from all users and see whats using your CPU. If its a strange process google it and see what comes up. Do you have an antivirus program? You probably want to run it in case you picked something up.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is it slow and choppy when running SC2 or all of the time? If you have a hardware problem, I strongly suspect your GPU.

Before we get to that, are you clean for viruses and malware? What apps do you use to scan for these?

Does your system have on-board video or do you have access to another GPU? If on-board only, uninstall/remove your GPU and use your on-board (you may have to install drivers) and see what it does. If you have another discrete GPU, you could try the same.

Report results back. Good luck!

Arikado

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

I've noticed a bunch of viruses popping up do you have a good anti-virus I could torrent or a free one? I don't have money to spend on one..

Arikado

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

It's running like it was before this crap started since I did a system restore but I need a good free anti-virus.

Nope, both are free for personal or educational use, but they charge for corporations that use them, thats how they make their money to keep their service up and provide it for free to people. Both of them ask you to register it online within 30 days, but they wont charge you anything.

cliffordtheitguy

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
There are quite a lot of freeware antivirus software out there, but I guess those that worth trying are the ones like AVG anti virus, Avira AntiVir personal edition, microsoft security essentials, Avast.

As the saying goes, nothing is free. Either there are limitation to the features or you will get to see a lot of advertising built in the program. If you don't mind the advertising and and don't want to spend money, then I suggest you go ahead and try one of these. They are just fine.

The one I'm using both personally and in my work environment is NOD32. This is just my preference based on my years of experience, and nothing beats NOD32 and doesn't cluttered your system and run silently in the background nor does hype like Norton, McAfee.

I'm testing other few anti-virus software and only select a few good ones that is available in the market. But once I get the results, I'll put up some statistics and recommendation on my website.

Hope it helps.