Sandy Bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2010 11:33:00 AM

Hello all,
In the near future (the next year)
I am planning on getting a new PC:
3 questions:
1. How much will Sandy Bridge be worth?
2. Should I wait for the early or later models?
3. How does it compare to AMD's Fusion?

Thank you!

More about : sandy bridge

a b à CPUs
December 12, 2010 3:52:55 PM

AFAIK the "mainstream" versions of Sandy Bridge (2 core no HT to 4 core with HT and unlocked multi) will be out Jan. 9th - less than 4 weeks from now. The high end 2600K which is 4 cores/8 threads/unlocked will supposedly go for $317. They will include an onboard GPU which is comparable to a current low-end discrete GPU according to the Anandtech preview. IOW, you can play games on it on low settings.

According to Intel's roadmap, there will be performance and enthusiast versions later next year. I'd expect these won't include the onboard GPU, and may go all the way up to 10 cores /20 threads, and cost an arm + leg :p .

Haven't really seen much of AMD's fusion yet, except for the Llano demo they did last month. Probably a mid-range equivalent GPU onboard. If you're a gamer, you'll probably be getting a high-end discrete GPU(s) anyway.
December 18, 2010 8:02:54 AM

Aha....
Well. i relly do not believe in a GPU/CPU combo, because suppose the GPU that is integrated breaks.... u have to replace the CPU!
And plus, games at low settings suck, it's what I play at now, so the whole pupose would be upgrading.

Do you know when an 8 or 6 core Sandy Bridge will be out?
I don't think they will cost very much, because the 2600K I saw almost beats the current 980X, so... yeah lol...

Another thing... (DOn't troll PLS) Would it be better to wait till mid 2011 for the more advanced Sandy Bridge or get a PS3 now?

Thanks for your reply!
Related resources
December 18, 2010 11:38:19 AM

Sandy bridge, I have a ps3. Its a great system and all but trust me your gonna wanna wait. Im building my computer just after Jan 9th. Mostly because either I can get sandy bridge processors, or hopefully the 980x and 950 could drop. Your gonna want an want a new computer over a ps3, and besides once you finally get your upgrade ps3's will cost less. 1 year older, + boxing week. Maybe check for a used one you could get one with like 40 - 60 GB for like 100 - 150

Either way your choice, good luck :) 
December 19, 2010 2:13:20 PM

mmmmmmmmm
I wish I was rich :D 
So how do the Sandy benchmarks compare to the AMD Fusion benches?
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2010 3:41:45 PM

Cornholio said:
Aha....
Well. i relly do not believe in a GPU/CPU combo, because suppose the GPU that is integrated breaks.... u have to replace the CPU!
And plus, games at low settings suck, it's what I play at now, so the whole pupose would be upgrading.

Do you know when an 8 or 6 core Sandy Bridge will be out?
I don't think they will cost very much, because the 2600K I saw almost beats the current 980X, so... yeah lol...

Another thing... (DOn't troll PLS) Would it be better to wait till mid 2011 for the more advanced Sandy Bridge or get a PS3 now?

Thanks for your reply!

Actually Intel is officially announcing SB on Jan. 5th at CES, not Jan. 9th as I (and others) stated previously. So that's 2.5 weeks away..

The 6, 8 and possibly 10-core SB "performance" versions should be out in the Q2- Q3 timeframe (i.e., April - September) from what I've read. These probably will not have the onboard GPU. However I expect they will be more expensive than the mainstream versions coming out next month.

I have a PS3 for console gaming and also game on my laptop and desktop, so I favor both options :) .
December 21, 2010 8:16:54 AM

Hmm.
Ok, thanks to all of you for your feedback!
I've decided to wait till August-Sept. to get the better SBs.
Thanks!
a c 101 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 21, 2010 11:41:10 AM

Fusion is AMDs name for the new integrated graphics coming soon while sandy bridge is a platfrom for the new processors so they are not comparable. AMDs next platform will be bulldozer which the 1st ones won't have fusion (or any onboard graphics) and its anyones guess how it will compare to Sandy bridge.
!