Sign in with
Your question

Intel Smart Response Technology vs ExpressCache Software

Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2012 8:33:09 AM

So I bought a SanDisk Ready Cache and now I have a z77 mobo that supports intel Smart response technology. Which one should I use? Intel SRT will require me to install windows in RAID mode, while SanDisk allows me to install windows in ACHI mode. I noticed that the z77 Extreme 4 manual (by ASRock) says that windows 7 64bit will perform better in ACHI mode. So I am wondering if using ReadyCache ExpressCache Software would be better than Intel SRT?

What do you guys think plz help me decide!

More about : intel smart response technology expresscache software

December 30, 2012 9:09:35 PM

I've been looking for answers too. RAID? ACHI? If I set up a RAID volume for an HDD and SSD to use SRT, can I switch it back to ACHI after setup since it's really not a RAID? If I buy a ScanDisk Ready Cache drive, can I use the Ready Cache software on a separate non-ScanDisk drive?

It would be nice just to buy your preferred SSD and cache software either bundled or separately. But noooooo. And it's worse than just being bundled. Dataplex (just bought by Samsung) will only work on SSDs that are registered (i.e., partner vendors). Just like Microsoft's SRT - will only work with specific hardware. Same thing with ScanDisk and Condusiv; no cache software unless you buy their SSD. These others might be able to work with other SSDs, but you can't just get the software to even just test/trial. And it's actually worse in the Macintosh realm - Dataplex and the other vendors' cache software isn't developed for Macs. Virtually all SSDs with run on both platforms, but no software at all for Macs. Mac's 'Fusion' is something inherent in the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion implemented in their newest Mac-Minis and iMacs, but to make it work in other systems you have to apply some terminal-based changes (unofficial hacks).... with the caveat that it's not Apple-based, thus not guaranteed to be stable.

It's really frustrating that there is a flood of SSDs out there and becoming affordable, and the cache-software aspect so promising, but there is nothing outside of SSD-vendor-restricted implementations. Sucks. I think this is why it's so hard to find solid answers in this area - we're all restricted to limited options, thus no real broad experience yet.

Because of these limitations, most people seem to be just moving only the OS and maybe applications to SSD, and just keeping all the 'data' on the HDD.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:29:34 AM

The best way to answer those quesitons would be to actually go ahead and do it and see if the software works with other SSDs (I suspect it would). I did switch to ACHI after SRT was installed with RAID and Windows wont boot. You will need to leave it in RAID.

Now I am having other problems... I enabled Intel quick sync (went through hell to get it to work), but its not even fast... I transcoded just as fast without it lol... What a ripoff! Also, my dual AMD 6950s only transcoded slower by like 30 seconds lol... So much hype for nothing!!! Also, the software out there that supports Quick Sync really sucks. Its like Trialware with Adware that doesnt even do what you want it to do and is trying so hard to be "simply to use" that is actually harder to use... (Cyberlink MediaExpresso really sucks!!!!!!!!!!) It even plants a permanent popup/gadget on your desktop and launches on system startup... Wow never using Cyberlink software again in my entire life!!!!!!!
m
l
December 31, 2012 1:55:39 PM

Caching SSD solutions sound really cool and even look kind of neat in use but my experience has been that they just are not worth the cost. If you want a real world, notice in everyday use speed bump then buy an SSD and make the move. Even if you just put the OS and basic apps on the SSD you will notice a day to day speed bump.

m
l
!