PC froze when playing JC2!!!!

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
So I dont know at which forum section I should ask this so I ask it here. So I was playing Just Cause 2 and I accidently hit my PC and it froze. This happens often when im on my PC, when I move around my chair and stuff I accidently hit it from time to time, when the PC is on but it never froze before, normally nothing happens and the PC keeps working like it should.. Can this be because something is loose in my PC? I vacumed it like a week ago and everything seemed normal inside the case, so can this be caused by something else??? I really wanna know the problem so I can prevent it from happening again.

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
You solved your own question. You hit it, it froze. Therefore, move your pc out of reach :-D

Alternatively, and this is what i would do, you could open up your case again, dismantle it and reassemble. That way you can be absolutley sure every bit of hardware is connected correctly. There is obviously a loose connection somewhere if the freeze is instigated by hitting it.

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Depends really. If you're using your PC now, i doubt it's damaged. But i wouldn't keep doing it to find out :p

But, by bumping your pc, obviously you increase the risk of dislodging a power recepticle etc. which could surge your hardware...but psu's are pretty good with surge protection.

So to answer your question...it's a very vague yes. With an added, probably not.

rreeder

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Could you have jarred it hard enough to cause your Hard Drive to missread and freeze while trying to access information. Just a thought. If so you probably didn't hurt anything, but I would move my computer to a safer place.

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

I didnt really hit it that hard. Not hard enough to screw up the HDD im sure. Well I guess it might be my GPU or Ram thats a lil loose maybe??? The CPU cant really move around that much cos theres like 10 screws holding it on the mobo. Can RAM cause this?

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

so if its damaged how would I notice that? So far everything seems normal though and I used it for hours after the freezing now and I played 3 games. And Yeah so I guess its not damaged then :p

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Like i said, i seriously doubt it is. And if it is, it's so minor that you will probably never notice.

i.e. a hard drive knock could've ended a write before it had time to complete and gave you a bad sector...you go to open a file in a few weeks and it won't open lol luckily you were playing a game and not doing work or something :p

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

ok thanks alot for the help mate :) !

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
ok this confuses me... I ran a JC2 benchmark and it only detected 4GBs of ram on my PC. I actually have 6gb :S. CPUz and PC wizard still detects 6GB of ram but I reinstalled both of those programs just in case they wouldnt update hardware changes automaticly. And they still detect 6GB of ram. But this still confuses me.. WHY do I only have 4GB of ram on the JC2 benchmark?!??!?