Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Calculating total Power used from PSU.

Last response: in Components
Share
December 11, 2010 2:44:02 PM

Hi guys

So I've been installing new hardware over the past couple of months into a new rig, but im begining to think that my PSU is not powerful enough. Is there a way to calculate the total power being used by my components?

Spec:
PSU: OCZ Stealth X Stream 600w
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 2.4ghz
RAM: 2x2gb Kingston Hyper X 1066mhz PC2 8500.
GPU: nVidea Geforce GTS 250
HDD: 2x 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
MOBO: Asus P5QLD PRO
O/S: W7 Ultimate x 64

Also taking power: heatsink fan, side fan, front fan, themometer and optical drive.

I am thinking of adding a further 2gb of the same RAM and another 1tb seagate baracuda 7200 hdd. Also adding a rear Fan. Will my power suply be able to handle this?

Is there a way of calculating the total power being used that anyone could reccommend?

Many thanks
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 11, 2010 2:58:40 PM

serth said:
Hi guys

So I've been installing new hardware over the past couple of months into a new rig, but im begining to think that my PSU is not powerful enough. Is there a way to calculate the total power being used by my components?

Spec:
PSU: OCZ Stealth X Stream 600w
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 2.4ghz
RAM: 2x2gb Kingston Hyper X 1066mhz PC2 8500.
GPU: nVidea Geforce GTS 250
HDD: 2x 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
MOBO: Asus P5QLD PRO
O/S: W7 Ultimate x 64

Also taking power: heatsink fan, side fan, front fan, themometer and optical drive.

I am thinking of adding a further 2gb of the same RAM and another 1tb seagate baracuda 7200 hdd. Also adding a rear Fan. Will my power suply be able to handle this?

Is there a way of calculating the total power being used that anyone could reccommend?

Many thanks


you won't break 300w on that set up.

CPU
Intel Core i7 965 Extreme (3.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 133 MHz Bclk), power-saving settings disabled
Motherboard
Asus Rampage II Extreme (X58/ICH10)
Memory
Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB 7,200 RPM
CPU Cooler
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme


Related resources
December 11, 2010 3:29:20 PM

ct1615 said:
you won't break 300w on that set up.

CPU
Intel Core i7 965 Extreme (3.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 133 MHz Bclk), power-saving settings disabled
Motherboard
Asus Rampage II Extreme (X58/ICH10)
Memory
Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB 7,200 RPM
CPU Cooler
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

http://media.bestofmicro.com/9/Z/181799/original/image028.png



Hi! did you produce that graph using software? where can i find it?

Thanks:) 
a c 164 ) Power supply
December 11, 2010 4:00:13 PM

serth said:
Hi! did you produce that graph using software? where can i find it?

Thanks:) 



its from tom's review of the GTS250. just about every review site now publishes power benchmarks.

here's a better one for the GTS 25o (aka 9800GTX+)



review link
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2731
!