Windows 7 64 bit canon 20d connect problems

sonni829

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
My new computer will not recognize my cannon EOS20D and I can not find drivers for Windows 7 64 bit under the cannon website, it says there are no drivers
I am so frustrated about ready to throw the computer out the window....
Sonni

sonni829

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Already downloaded the lastest software updates. but the camera is not recognized and they offer no drivers for windows 7 64 bit. (they only offer 32 bit(, I did try that one, it didn't work. Any ideas?

vista x64, should be the same. This might be part of canons plan to make poeple upgrade, i've a scanner that they did not support in 64bit that 64 bit is 'unstable' not unstable enough for lots of other of thier products to have 64bits drivers.

What are you trying to do, such that you want to connect it? use a card reader for downloading photos. Create a VMware 32bit installation for other reasons? or install XP mode, google it, or look on the MS website?

sonni829

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
It recognizes the drive, but actuallly has the it say Cannon unitendified devise, when you go to properties it says there is no driver. I followed windows instructions to install driver, but only to find out Cannon does not have an updated driver. I will purchasing a new card reader tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help.

sonni829

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Cannon's support said that they do not support Windows 7, however, I did get a card reader and works fine, I was able to get all the photos off the disks.
Thanks for all your help...
Sonni

vondernostrand

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
In the camera menu, Switch communication to PTP instead of Normal. Will work fine. Bugs in Cannon EOS camera firmware/hardware do not properly handshake with generic MS windows drivers,

Picture Transfer Protocol works without a computer, so in addition to your PC you could also send them directly to a printer for example.

Cheers

Kimber_30

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your advice. I recently bought the Canon 20D used. I didn't even think to ask about it being compatible with my OS. Thanks again. Changing the communication over to PFP was the trick!