5770 very slow in games, fine otherwise

I am getting very frustrated with my new Asus 5770 512, which so far runs slower than the 9600GT that it replaced.

I am getting <10 FPS in Modern Warfare 2, for example. No improvement even if I drop to, say, 1024x768 with 0xAA and textures at "normal" resolution. That gave me about 40 FPS on my 9600GT, so it can't be CPU bottlenecking.

Battlefield BC2 and Dirt2 both give me more like 20FPS, but still a good 50% below what I had with the 9600GT.

Oddly, OCCT (test "GPU: OCCT") gives me a consistent 100FPS which is about 50% more than previously and the sort of performance improvement that I had been hoping for.

Edit: just noticed that under OCCT temps go up to ~70, which is fine. Under MW2 or BC2 they don't get much over 50. It is as if the card isn't really trying to do much. Very odd.

Can anybody suggest anything to try? It is possible that the card is faulty?

Any advice gratefully received!

Here is what I have done so far (note: all drivers are Win7/64 to match my OS):

- Uninstalled all NVIDIA stuff, rebooted into safe mode and run Driver Sweeper.
- Tried installing latest drivers from AMD site (Catalyst 10.7). Bad FPS.
- Uninstalled all drivers, driver sweeper, install from CD. Still bad FPS.
- Uninstalled all drivers, driver sweeper, install Catalyst 10.4. Same story.
- Checked Driver Manager: says "ATI Radeon 5700 Series" (which seems reasonable and at least is not "default VGA device" or whatever).
- GPU temp under load reaches ~70 celsius (running OCCT), according to Asus Smart Doctor. CPU temps are 60-65, which is normal for my overclocked E4300 @ 3GHz.

My rig:
GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1)
2x2Gb Corsair XMS2
Corsair TX650 PSU
E4300 @ 3GHz
Windows 7 / 64
6 answers Last reply
More about 5770 slow games fine otherwise
  1. edwina5000 said:
    I am getting very frustrated with my new Asus 5770 512, which so far runs slower than the 9600GT that it replaced.

I am getting <10 FPS in Modern Warfare 2, for example. No improvement even if I drop to, say, 1024x768 with 0xAA and textures at "normal" resolution. That gave me about 40 FPS on my 9600GT, so it can't be CPU bottlenecking.

Battlefield BC2 and Dirt2 both give me more like 20FPS, but still a good 50% below what I had with the 9600GT.

Oddly, OCCT (test "GPU: OCCT") gives me a consistent 100FPS which is about 50% more than previously and the sort of performance improvement that I had been hoping for.

Edit: just noticed that under OCCT temps go up to ~70, which is fine. Under MW2 or BC2 they don't get much over 50. It is as if the card isn't really trying to do much. Very odd.

- Checked Driver Manager: says "ATI Radeon 5700 Series" (which seems reasonable and at least is not "default VGA device" or whatever).
    - GPU temp under load reaches ~70 celsius (running OCCT), according to Asus Smart Doctor. CPU temps are 60-65, which is normal for my overclocked E4300 @ 3GHz.

My rig:
    GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1)
    2x2Gb Corsair XMS2
    Corsair TX650 PSU
    E4300 @ 3GHz
    Windows 7 / 64

Looks like your hd5770 dont show his power in this situation ...
    I suggest you to try reinstalling os and latest driver !
    And if you still had a problem maybe your hd5770 is fault manufacture
  2. edwina5000 said:

My rig:
    GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1)
    2x2Gb Corsair XMS2
    Corsair TX650 PSU
    E4300 @ 3GHz
    Windows 7 / 64

Try disabling catalyst ai, its located in ccc, maybe your GPU is falling back to 2d or UVD mode in games, try overclocking it a little bit(1mhz) and try then, and when running the game look into GPU-Z and see whether the card is running at full speed.
  3. Useful advice, thanks tkin.

Before you replied, I tried upgrading from Catalyst 10.4 to 10.7 again. This seemed to make a difference in some games. BC2 now at 40-60FPS with my preferred settings, which is a bit more like it!

GPU-Z tells me that the card is running at 70-98% during BC2, which is good. Clock speeds are as they should be. I hadn't realised that the 5770 throttled back so much when not being used, so it was good to see it was clocking up to the proper figures when in use.

Tried the Resident Evil 5 benchmark and am getting ~70FPS in the "variable" test, which is good.

Less good: MW2 now working well in multiplayer, but single player still at 5-15 FPS. Tried reinstalling Dirt2 and it is also still slow at 20-30FPS and jerky, which is worse than with my 9600GT.

The Catalyst AI and slight overclock don't seem to make any difference, but thanks for the ideas.

Looks to me like this is a driver issue. Maybe the 512Mb version of the 5770 is too new to have decent drivers. Certainly it didn't exist before the 10.6 drivers, which might explain why 10.4 runs it inefficiently. Think I'll assume that ATI will sort their drivers out, but that my card is, itself, running okay. If I ever have the energy to reinstall Windows, maybe that will help.

Thanks for the advice.
  4. edwina5000 said:
    Useful advice, thanks tkin.

Before you replied, I tried upgrading from Catalyst 10.4 to 10.7 again. This seemed to make a difference in some games. BC2 now at 40-60FPS with my preferred settings, which is a bit more like it!

GPU-Z tells me that the card is running at 70-98% during BC2, which is good. Clock speeds are as they should be. I hadn't realised that the 5770 throttled back so much when not being used, so it was good to see it was clocking up to the proper figures when in use.

Tried the Resident Evil 5 benchmark and am getting ~70FPS in the "variable" test, which is good.

Less good: MW2 now working well in multiplayer, but single player still at 5-15 FPS. Tried reinstalling Dirt2 and it is also still slow at 20-30FPS and jerky, which is worse than with my 9600GT.

The Catalyst AI and slight overclock don't seem to make any difference, but thanks for the ideas.

Looks to me like this is a driver issue. Maybe the 512Mb version of the 5770 is too new to have decent drivers. Certainly it didn't exist before the 10.6 drivers, which might explain why 10.4 runs it inefficiently. Think I'll assume that ATI will sort their drivers out, but that my card is, itself, running okay. If I ever have the energy to reinstall Windows, maybe that will help.

Thanks for the advice.

Good to hear that some of your issues are sorting out, but my XFX HD5850 had the infamous gray screen bug in 3d mode(furmark and such), gave it for rma, now I'm wondering whether I gave a perfect card for rma, should've tested it in other systems.
  5. Well, I've solved it! Unfortunately it was the last thing I tried.

Noticed that GPU-Z was indicating "PCI-E x16 @ x2". Ignored it before, thinking it was something that I just didn't quite understand. Thanks to Google, I worked out to reseat my card and it popped up to "@ x16". Now running MW2 at around 40FPS with my settings (depending massively on the scene complexity, obviously, but never dropping below 30FPS).

So after about 10 hours spent trying different drivers it took 10 seconds to pull and reseat the card and all was well. Ah well, am ridiculously pleased to have got there in the end. Just goes to show - never ignore the basic options. Just wish I'd tried them in this order myself:

1) Check that card is running at full speed in 3D games (via GPU-Z)
    2) Reseat the card (and check GPU-Z)
    3) Put your BIOS to fail-safe settings or reset by removing battery
    4) Try various different drivers

Presumably MW2 highlighted the issue because, for whatever reason, it relies on that PCI interface more than most games.

Hope this saves somebody else some time, anyway.
  6. edwina5000 said:
    Well, I've solved it! Unfortunately it was the last thing I tried.

Noticed that GPU-Z was indicating "PCI-E x16 @ x2". Ignored it before, thinking it was something that I just didn't quite understand. Thanks to Google, I worked out to reseat my card and it popped up to "@ x16". Now running MW2 at around 40FPS with my settings (depending massively on the scene complexity, obviously, but never dropping below 30FPS).

So after about 10 hours spent trying different drivers it took 10 seconds to pull and reseat the card and all was well. Ah well, am ridiculously pleased to have got there in the end. Just goes to show - never ignore the basic options. Just wish I'd tried them in this order myself:

1) Check that card is running at full speed in 3D games (via GPU-Z)
    2) Reseat the card (and check GPU-Z)
    3) Put your BIOS to fail-safe settings or reset by removing battery
    4) Try various different drivers

Presumably MW2 highlighted the issue because, for whatever reason, it relies on that PCI interface more than most games.

Hope this saves somebody else some time, anyway.

Hey , i'm also experiencing what you're experiencing but i have no idea what you are talking about . Please send me an email to veknguyen@yahoo.com and see if you could teamview me or something . thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics