Sign in with
Your question

Inconsistent Booting, Blue Screens in New Computer

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2010 10:27:56 PM

To begin with, I really appreciate the community built here. I've been using a lot of the information I've seen here to buy this computer, and I'm really thankful for this as it made my life much easier. Specifically, I used this thread and it was an enormous help when it came to buying time.

Current Computer specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Initial RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT

RAM purchased today: Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

Graphics card:GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX

I'm having some difficulty with a PC I put together.

To begin with, when powered on, the computer gave continuous beeps, which, according to the motherboard manual, meant the graphics card wasn't inserted properly. We tried to put a graphics card that we know works into the same slot, and it gave us the same error messages. Called motherboard tech support, and they told us to send the motherboard back for replacement.

Got the replacement motherboard in the mail the other day, and the computer booted up to the Windows 7 install fine. After installing the OS, the computer is now giving blue screen after varying amounts of use (ranging from 4 hours the first night to 5 minutes earlier today), and will occasionally turn on only to beep continous times in the same way it did before.

Called motherboard tech support again, and they suggested that the RAM may be bad. After shuffling the RAM around (putting in different slots, only putting one in at a time, etc), it finally booted up and ran okay for a night with one of the two 2GB sticks in. However, the next morning I found that it would not boot up and had the continuous beep error again.

So, today I went out and purchased new RAM of the same type, and I have installed it. When powered on, the computer gives the continuous beeps, and will not boot. However, occasionally, it will get to the first screen giving you the opportunity to enter BIOS, but will then give the continuous beeps again. When removing one stick of RAM and leaving the other in, it will load to the OS fine. I am waiting to see if I get a blue screen (have had it on about 5-10 minutes at this point).

At this point, the computer gives the continuous beeping POST errors when two sticks of RAM are inserted, and will blue screen eventually when I have 1 stick of RAM installed.

I have followed the steps at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste..., including the one about verifying the voltage, speed, and timing of the RAM, and the BIOS setup matches the specs from Corsair's website.

Any suggestions?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 18, 2010 11:39:15 PM

Good choices over all, but you didnt mention the power supply? If youve got a bad PSU, as in the voltage to the MB is fluctuating up and down, then it will give you all kinds of memory errors, cpu errors, ect...a real big mess. So I guess Im asking what PSU did you get for this build?

Dead
m
l
September 19, 2010 2:25:05 AM

This is my power supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

It's new as well. I'll see about testing another one in the PC to see if that one is faulty. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll be back with results!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2010 2:35:23 AM

I love OCZ power supplies..Im running the modX 500 myself..let me know how the testing goes

good luck, Dead
m
l
September 19, 2010 5:12:01 PM

I just installed a Corsair 650W PSU and it gives me the same continuous beeps on power on. Any other ideas?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2010 8:31:39 PM

Does the case you are using have those built in dimples for mounting the motherboard? 2 boards with same type of problem sounds like you could be shorting something on the MB.....try bread boarding the system and see if it runs correctly that way, if it does you got something in the case shorting the board.

Hope this helps, Dead
m
l
September 19, 2010 10:17:09 PM

I just tried placing the motherboard in with 3 screws into the brass stands that came with the motherboard to hold it on place in the case, then had plastic tabs in the rest of the screw holes between the case and the board. It gave me the same beeps. Is that close enough to breadboarding?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 12:19:53 AM

Ok, i guess thats close enough to count, next thing to try is pull the CPU and reseat it.....just dont wipe off the thermal paste unless you've got some extra on hand!
This thing is really baffling me at this point, It is possible you got 2 dead motherboards in a row......rare, but if they got a bad batch of parts at the factory you could've just had tha bad luck to get 2 of the same set.

If reseating the CPU doesnt help contact whoever you got the board from and request another.

Good luck, Dead
m
l
September 20, 2010 3:50:33 AM

I reseated the CPU and everything worked great for about 2 hours with everything in it. Now, it's given me a bluescreen two times in 20 minutes. Does that indicate it may be the CPU that's bad, or should I go ahead and return the motherboard?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 2:25:03 PM

I'd be guessing CPU. It is possible, just less likely for it to be bad. But getting multiple bad mobos in a row is also unlikely.
m
l
!