Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card busted(?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2010 2:16:00 AM

Hey guys, hope I am posting this in the right section. Basically, I started getting jumbled Vista loading screens and a BSOD upon boot of my Sony Vaio laptop, so I figured my video card (nVidia GeForce8400M GT) was shot. However, Windows does work fine as long as I disable my nVidia display adapter and default to Vgasave. Everything looks normal. Anytime I reinstall and re-enable the nVidia drivers (I've tried multiple versions), Windows refuses to load again. So:

1.) Is this purely a hardware issue?
2.) If yes, why does Windows load fine with Vgasave when the nVidia card is the only video card integrated into my laptop?

More about : graphics card busted

August 10, 2010 2:17:53 AM

Oh by the way, this is not a RAM issue, as I tested that. It's definitely the video card or drivers, and my computer is currently running in normal mode with no display adapters enabled at all...just Vgasave.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 10, 2010 5:06:24 AM

So try to install the newest driver or even the older driver that work for your laptop.
Download it's driver from the manufacture website (Vaio).
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 10, 2010 5:49:29 AM

wa1 said:
So try to install the newest driver or even the older driver that work for your laptop.
Download it's driver from the manufacture website (Vaio).

As I mentioned, I did try 4 different driver versions with the same results.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 10, 2010 5:55:44 AM

then my best guess is your card is dying...
Go to Sony Vaio service center and repair it, but i think they will cost you high...
m
l
!