Sign in with
Your question

Z68 64ssd cache vs boot

Last response: in Motherboards
August 8, 2011 8:38:12 PM

I just bought an ASUS P8Z68-V and a 64 gig kingston SSD. My intentions were to get a smaller drive for a cache drive, but the 64gig was on sale cheaper. My new unforseen delima... Since I have a larger ssd, would it be of better use as a boot drive? Which will I see the greatest performance kick? Is there a breckover point to where the drive would be better used as a boot drive. The reason I ask is that I see a lot of people using 20-40gigs for the cache., and was wondering if there was a usable limit.

Thanks..
Cant wait to get this baby put together.

More about : z68 64ssd cache boot

a c 715 V Motherboard
August 8, 2011 9:24:53 PM

Define 'Cheaper' and then compare to 120GB~128GB SSD prices. The 'Kick' 20GB~64GB max SSD Cache has more to do with how many 'different' Apps, Games, sized data, etc you use 'frequently' => Cached.

Here's a nice article -> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-sm...

It ALL depends on YOUR usage. In my case I have 128GB & 256GB SSD's, on my Gaming the 256GB is full and stuff has been deleted, in contrast my Business PCs are running 60%-70% full with data on a RAID 1 HDDs and only frequent and temporary data {scratch} data on the smaller 128GB SSD. HDDs are dead slow compared to ANY SSD.
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2011 9:51:52 PM

I think making it a boot/app drive will give you more tangible performance gains. Tom's original SSD caching review (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-s...) says that caching just doesn't work that well, even in benchmarks. You'll have more luck with putting the OS and a few games on it.
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 8, 2011 10:11:07 PM

I was alluding to 64GB vs 120GB~128GB SSD pricing. IMO - a >smaller< 'boot' SSD is more a PITA than ANY asset and 120GB~128GB SSD is the smallest OS + Apps + Some Data SSD that I'd recommend.
August 8, 2011 10:57:27 PM

Thanks for the replies.. Now off to read the links (articles )
August 9, 2011 3:13:52 AM

Maybe you could multiboot and let the SSD be your "speed and performance" OS boot, and then boot another OS from a standard HD and let that be the "not so speedy needs" OS boot. I took jaquith's advice and worked a 128GB SSD ( Crucial M4 ) into my new build, but I've been slack and haven't assembled my build yet.

Or just boot from the SSD or cache from it for a few months. Prices on SSD's will likely continue to plunge in that time and you can pick a bigger SSD up for cheap and reinstall by the time your're sick of overcrowding the 64GB SSD.
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2011 5:47:42 AM

Why multiboot when you can have all the boot benefits of an SSD and the space of a HDD at the same time anyway?
August 9, 2011 7:20:17 AM

kajabla said:
Why multiboot when you can have all the boot benefits of an SSD and the space of a HDD at the same time anyway?

I guess it depends on the OP's requirements. 64GB SSD is not big enough for my needs. But if it's big enough for all his needs, by all means, install the 64GB SSD as your boot drive and happy trails.
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2011 2:29:19 PM

Concur with - Go for a larger SSD as a BOOT+program drive.
Another factor to consider. The Intel 311 (20gig) SSD is designed for SRT. It is a SLC drive, Not a MLC drive. The MLC drive MAY handle the large number of writes that swapping in/out of cache would represent, just not enough time has elasped (Real world usage) to really verify that and will be highly used dependent. Hate to see that SRT MLC drive go into panic mode or die a premature death.
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2011 3:19:52 PM

That article reports that not even Intel's SRT drives work well for caching. That makes them kinda useless, I guess, as 20 isn't really big enough for a system drive.
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 10, 2011 12:15:03 AM

I stick to what I said :) 
!