anthrobtafoya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Is it right for DELL to sell me my own information, that is stored on a bad hardrive under "warranty" with my information, which they will not replace until i pay 60.00 to retain my imformation

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Unfortunately yes. Unfair as it may seem, Dell is only required to replace the defective hard drive free of charge under warranty, not recover the data off of the faulty one. As with any storage media sold, companies are not liable for data loss, loss of income etc. in the event of failure.

If you don't want to retain your data, they can't force you to and therefore can't charge you, but If your data is important, they're well within their rights to do so.

Also, 60GBP is a pretty good price for data recovery from a faulty HDD IMO.

It cost time and labor to recover data from a defective hard drive and the data may not be 100% recoverable.

Dell or any other computer brand or hard drive company is not responsible for recovering your data. Their warranties only cover the physical hard drive.

This is why it is a good idea to backup important data on to another hard drive or burn them on a DVD disc.

TRENDING THREADS