Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Monitor or Video card ?? weird.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2010 2:45:42 AM

Hello all,

I have been having some problems with what seems to be either my monitor or video card. Last week, I had my computer running as usual, and went outside for a few minutes. I came back on, and my monitor was black, the power button was lit but screen was black. I tried rebooting and everything to no avail.

So luckily I had this extra monitor I got from a friend of mine who had bought it because she needed a bigger screen for movie editing. She had used it for like a month, until she decided to upgrade her computer to a Mac. So she just gave it to me. So it's been sitting in my room for a couple months now. The model number is 2232BWPLUS if thats important.

I took the monitor and plugged it in, and everything ran great. Problem fixed, or so i thought. The last few days, after leaving for awhile, ill come back and the monitor is sleeping as normal, so I press the power button. The screen comes up flickering from anywhere from 5 seconds to 35 seconds about, and then it finally stops and goes back to normal state.

My question is, could this be the monitors that are failing, or could it be the video card failing. I opened the case and felt the video card and it felt pretty hot, but.. i don't know if that is normal, etc. I even took my old monitor and hooked it up to another computer, and it looked like it was working, booted up normal and then went into windows, but after like 45 seconds, the monitor went black, unplugged the power cord and plugged it in, same result. Is there anyway to test for a bad video card ? This one has me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

a c 189 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2010 5:09:52 AM

It's looked like an overheating of gpu card...

What is your full specs? tell us first... :) 
August 10, 2010 6:58:47 AM

Hello wa1. Thanks for your reply.

My specs are: ASUS Maximus Formula, An Intel core2duo E6750,
with 2 gigs of ddr2 RAM, geForce 8600GTS for my video card, 320 gig internal HD, i believe a 400Watt Power supply, and a supremefx 2 sound card that came with the motherboard and an ASUS dvd burner.
Related resources
August 10, 2010 9:05:31 AM

To me it sounds like a failing videocard, i assume its out of warranty? 8600s use to die pretty often. Do u notice problem only when screen is coming back from sleep mode? Install occt and run gpu stress test with enabled error detection.
August 10, 2010 9:30:22 AM

Yep, only when coming out of sleep mode. where do i download occt from ?
August 10, 2010 9:58:59 AM

Awesome, thanks.. Downloaded it and ran it.. Does the test take an hour to complete ? I started it, but then it showed the gpu's temp going up to 94 after like 5 minutes and I got nervous and pressed escape. Should I start it again ?
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2010 1:07:11 PM

Your card can handle up to 100'C, but 94'C is pretty hot.
What kind of 8600GTS? Is it single slot card?
Make sure your card is free from dust and sometime re-apply the thermal paste could help a lot...
August 10, 2010 8:03:18 PM

It's a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, single slot, with 256 mb onboard memory, and its in one of those pci-express slots. I'm not sure if thats what you wanted to know.

I cleaned all the dust off and still no luck, i'm not sure how to re-apply the thermal paste though. what does that entail ?
August 10, 2010 8:20:41 PM

1 hr is default test duration, u can customize it, id suggest to run it at least for 1 hr, If u want to reduce temps during the test a little bit - crank fan speed up to 100%, u can either do it from nvidia control panel or using msi afterburner/evga presicion. If there is no errors detected card could be ok, it may b soft related issue as well...
August 10, 2010 8:40:36 PM

Thanks again! I will give this a try, plus, maybe i should look at getting a new adapter and cord for it ? I'm using one of the analog to dvi converters for the video card side, but not the monitor side.
August 10, 2010 8:53:54 PM

does only the old monitor go black on the other computer after you let it run, or both monitors?
August 10, 2010 9:04:32 PM

The old monintor goes black, the new one flickers a lot when coming out of sleep mode.
August 10, 2010 9:11:19 PM

on both computers? different video cards?
August 10, 2010 9:17:40 PM

I only hooked that old monitor up to the other computer. I guess I should try the new one out as well on the other computer.
August 10, 2010 9:22:53 PM

just to make sure, cause it sounds like your old monitor may be going bad as well, but I'd be more apt to believe that if this other monitor isn't fuctioning on both computers, you either have 2 bad monitors or 2 bad computers (I'd go with computers)
August 10, 2010 9:26:49 PM

8600GT should not run that hot, have you tried to clean the GPU from dust? or leaving the side panel of the case opened?
also, if you can try the monitors on another pc it would be good.
Hope this helps. :wahoo: 
August 10, 2010 10:58:28 PM

Well I just got done testing it on the other computer. Let it sleep for 30 minutes, and went back, and sure enough, the flickering was on that computer as well.

Now I am confused, could it be the video card causing the monitor failures, or maybe the power cord to the new monitor causing the flickering ? yikes.
August 10, 2010 10:59:58 PM

are you using the same video card on both computers?...if so, its got to be the video card.

Best solution

August 10, 2010 11:06:53 PM

ixmaddog said:
Well I just got done testing it on the other computer. Let it sleep for 30 minutes, and went back, and sure enough, the flickering was on that computer as well.

Now I am confused, could it be the video card causing the monitor failures, or maybe the power cord to the new monitor causing the flickering ? yikes.

That sounds more like the monitors having issues. :heink: 
August 10, 2010 11:09:28 PM

Thats what I figured, grrr.. oh well! At least this last one was given to me, lol. Thanks for everyone's responses! I really appreciate it!

PS. gerardb - i LOVE the avy. Beagles are the best! Do you know where I can d/l that pic ?

(edit) NM, i just found it ! ha. Love it
August 10, 2010 11:12:34 PM

ixmaddog said:
Thats what I figured, grrr.. oh well! At least this last one was given to me, lol. Thanks for everyone's responses! I really appreciate it!

PS. gerardb - i LOVE the avy. Beagles are the best! Do you know where I can d/l that pic ?

(edit) NM, i just found it ! ha. Love it

JAJAJAJA
It was a pleasure to help buddy! :pt1cable: 
Beagles are the best :love: 
August 10, 2010 11:20:26 PM

Best answer selected by ixmaddog.
August 10, 2010 11:22:47 PM

I thought I could choose everyone for the best answer ! Sorry wa1, ekg84, jrhii !! All you guys helped me figure this out. Thanks again guys!
!