Sign in with
Your question

I installed i7 950 with asus p6x58d mobo. tried to overclock but voltage fell fr

Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2010 10:14:05 PM

I installed i7 950 with asus p6x58d mobo. tried to overclock but voltage fell from 1.84 to 1.7v.. I read to adjust jumper pi to 2-3. when I did this and turned it on, I had no screen at all. I then read to revert back to default voltage prior to moving jumper. WHAT damage did I most probably do to my new set up?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2010 7:44:59 AM

Worst case would have been you fried your CPU. Does it work when you revert to the old jumper configuration?

Also, if there is an option for Load Line Calibration (LLC), try turning that on. It's the feature than compensates for voltage sag when the CPU ramps up to meet increasing workload.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2010 10:59:20 AM

^ and this. I wonder why it didn't occur to me earlier. Around 1.4v would be what I consider the upper bound of reasonable overclocking. Any higher and you should be using a little more exotic cooling solution.
m
l
December 12, 2010 8:44:07 PM

gracefully said:
Worst case would have been you fried your CPU. Does it work when you revert to the old jumper configuration?

Also, if there is an option for Load Line Calibration (LLC), try turning that on. It's the feature than compensates for voltage sag when the CPU ramps up to meet increasing workload.

first . i wanted to thank you for your efforts in this matter,
I did change the jumper pin back to 1-2 and still nothing happened.
I assume to change LLC I would have to be on bios which at this point I cannot do. Is there another way, or am I just .....

I found another cpu on ebay for 259.00 free shipping
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2010 9:31:11 PM

So you cannot access the BIOS at all? Try a BIOS reset and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I think you fried your CPU or mobo. When you try to turn the system on, do the system fans spin up?
m
l
December 13, 2010 12:52:09 AM

gracefully said:
So you cannot access the BIOS at all? Try a BIOS reset and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I think you fried your CPU or mobo. When you try to turn the system on, do the system fans spin up?

the fans do spin. reset the cmos button, is that bios reset? still nothing
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2010 2:22:12 AM

Well, we're down to only a few options. If there's someone you can borrow a LGA1366 processor from, try it on your motherboard. It's highly likely that you fried your CPU, if you really set it to 1.7 or higher.
m
l
!