December 11, 2010 10:29:05 PM

Hello,
So here is my system:
Dell C521 OS: Windows XP SP3
Old CPU: AMD SEMPRON 3400
NEW CPU: AMD ATHLON 64X2 5400 BLACK EDITION
BIOS VERSION: 1.1.11
GPU: BFG 9400GT 1GIG DDR2

So I upgrade my cpu did it by the book. Removed heatsink, old cpu, cleaned heatsink reapplied silver base thermal grease, inserted cpu and heatsink, booted up and everything worked fine. I ran CPUID and it said temp was fine 33C on both cores it recognized my processor as did windows. It then asked me to restart due to newly installed hardware. When i restarted I got the were sorry for the inconvience but windows couldnt start due to new hard or software. Well now my comp wont start in any safe mode. I tried resetting the cmos, didnt work, and then I decided to install the old cpu to change bios version to 1.0.3 or whichever one it is. My old processor is doing the exact same thing and i cant get into my os. When i pull up the bios settings i can see that the system is still recognizing the processor correctly. Please any help would be nice.
a c 159 à CPUs
December 11, 2010 10:41:59 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. After trying all my tricks, I gave up and did a fresh windows installation, which only took about 20 minutes with an ssd. You may need a dell windows cd to reinstall your operating system and use your old dell coa. It's not the installation, but reactivation that could be a problem. Microsoft is matching coa numbers to oem systems. Be sure to enter your coa number when asked during the installation. Updates installed later will id your coa number and attempt to match it to your dell motherboard.
m
l
December 11, 2010 10:50:42 PM

Reactivation with an XP OEM key shouldn't be an issue. I had a dell PC with OEM XP Pro a few years ago, and I had no problem reactivating after every upgrade (And there were lots.) It's only your motherboard that the COA is attached directly to, not the other components.
m
l
Related resources
a c 107 à CPUs
December 11, 2010 10:52:22 PM

Windows XP probably requires reactivation because of the CPU change.
m
l
December 11, 2010 11:15:40 PM

Well i finally found my OS cd but now i cant get my cd drive to open lol the gears must be stripped out or something. I have an external dvd/rw hooked up through usb will I be able to run the cd thorugh this. If not is there any other way like maybe an external hard drive? Also what is COA im kindof a newb. thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2010 1:50:33 AM

Stick with the external dvdrom
COA is Certificate of Authenticity from Microsoft.
Usually every OEM (Dell,HP etc) has a 2inch by 1 inch sticker with Microsoft logo on it.
It will have a product key on it.
When installing it will ask for the key.
BUT if you have the install disks that came with computer your ok.
The OEM disks will automatically pull your product key from the motherboard.
IF there is a problem activating there wil be a MS number to call.
Usually with XP they aint too picky. Just answer that you had a hardware malfunction on the same computer.
Google "beginners guide to installing windows XP" and study!
m
l
!