Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Cpu temp issues?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 11, 2010 11:16:27 PM

i have a AMD athlon II X3 450 Rana ,, it is useing the normal heat sink and fan that came with it in the box
i set it up to 4X but it seemed to over heat
i set it back down to 3X and it still seems to have heat truble

i been useing Core Temp 0.99.8 , cpu-z , and OCCT

core temp says cpu max is 158F/70C

i run OCCT and cpu reaches 162F/71C within like 1 minute at 100% ,, thats at 3X 3.2GHz defualt

also for some reason OCCT and win7 still shows cpu as phenom 2 4X , but i set it back to 3X and core temp reads cpu as Athlon 2 3X
OCCT is testing 3 cores tho

this is one the sheets from OCCT http://i55.tinypic.com/r2835x.png

here is one from when cpu was set to 4X , http://i54.tinypic.com/281zrt4.png

so what does this mean ? is there a problem , will this damage the cpu if not fixed ? is 158F/70C the real max temp to my processor ? and if i do need i was thinking maybe i need underclock my cpu ?

More about : cpu temp issues

a c 78 à CPUs
December 12, 2010 2:03:05 AM

First... You are overclocking with stock cooler (AMD at that). Stock coolers don't provide adequate cooling when overclocked, hence the "aftermarket coolers".

Second... I would run at stock speeds until you get an aftermarket cooler (i.e.; Cooler Master Hyper 212+). Once you get the cooler, resume the overclocking / unlocking of cores. This will help prevent any damage to your CPU due to running "HOT".
December 12, 2010 2:36:35 AM

tecmo34 said:
First... You are overclocking with stock cooler (AMD at that). Stock coolers don't provide adequate cooling when overclocked, hence the "aftermarket coolers".

Second... I would run at stock speeds until you get an aftermarket cooler (i.e.; Cooler Master Hyper 212+). Once you get the cooler, resume the overclocking / unlocking of cores. This will help prevent any damage to your CPU due to running "HOT".


what you said "first" is not true , i havent modified the cpu clock from the defualt set up it came in the box with ,, thats why i asked if i would have to underclock
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
December 12, 2010 6:55:05 AM

iTree said:
what you said "first" is not true , i havent modified the cpu clock from the defualt set up it came in the box with ,, thats why i asked if i would have to underclock

Okay... I mis-read and re-track "First". The other statement holds true though :) 

Since you are at stock and have high temps, I would look at your cooler application to ensure it is completely seated/secured. If so, I would recommend removing the cooler, cleaning off the thermal compound, reapply the appropriate amount and reinstall the cooler. If not secured, I would secure it fully and see if temps drop.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 12, 2010 1:35:06 PM
Share

This will help with application - http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

If your cpu still reads wrong try resetting your bios.

70C under OCCT full load isn't surprising with a stock cooler.
December 12, 2010 9:13:02 PM

beanoslim said:
This will help with application - http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

If your cpu still reads wrong try resetting your bios.

70C under OCCT full load isn't surprising with a stock cooler.


thanks ,, the paste must have been what was wrong , i tried a new set and now running OCCT for 20minutes straight the cpu doesn't even go above 48C and now when idle it sits at 20C : )
thanks for telling me what was wrong
December 12, 2010 9:13:40 PM

Best answer selected by iTree.
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2010 9:41:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!