Sign in with
Your question

What's big enough for SOLELY a boot drive?

Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2012 5:06:49 PM

I will be building a computer in the next few weeks and I want an ssd that JUST has windows on it. I will have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I'm looking at the OCZ Vertex 4 64gb....I'm wondering if that will be big enough. Thank you.

More about : big solely boot drive

a b G Storage
December 28, 2012 6:04:47 PM

A 64GB SSD should be sufficient. Keep in mind that you need enough space for Windows, and then a couple odd DLLs for every other program you install, since Windows requires certain DLLs be in the Windows directory.

I think Windows 7 needs roughly 20GB, though I could easily be well off, but that would still leave you with approx 40GB for the other misc things, which should be quite sufficient.
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:24:11 PM

64gb will do if it's going to stay nothing but a boot drive but my guess is you'll wish you could put more on it as you go. I wouldn't go less than 120GB because you'll have a few things you're going to wish you could put on there. Plus, 120/128 gb drives are on sale pretty cheap now. The Samsung 840 (non-pro) was only $100 recently and you can find others cheaper. my 2 cents anyway.
m
l
!