Sign in with
Your question

HD 5450 not detected by mobo

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2010 11:57:32 PM

I just bought an ATI HD 5450 for my HTPC. I've never upgraded PC parts before, so being perfectly honest: I have no idea what I'm doing here. I opened my PC and popped the card right into the PCI x16 slot and it fit perfectly. I turned it on and absolutely nothing happened. I plugged my monitor back into the integrated video slot and went into device manager. My new gpu wasn't in there. I went into the BIOS and set the x16 to the primary output and still nothing. ATI recommends a 400w psu for this card but I still only have my stock 250w one. I unplugged everything except my mobo from my psu trying to eliminate any extra load on it, but still nothing shows up on my video card. After an hour or two of my computer running, the card becomes warm so something seems to be happening. Any thoughts?

Here's my mobo: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...
And my video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : 5450 detected mobo

December 12, 2010 7:41:13 AM

Try disabling the integrated graphics, then plug in the new card. Although this could pose a problem if the card still doesn't work and you are left with no way to get video from your computer. I think you would be able to get away with a BIOS reset, though.

Also, are you using the same cable for connecting to your monitor? If your monitor has multiple inputs (VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc.), it might be looking for signal in a different input. Try to use the same input for the new card.
m
l
December 12, 2010 5:09:44 PM

I cant seem to find an option to straight up disable the onboard graphics, only an option to set the primary adapter. And yea, I'm using a VGA input for both connections. Is it possible that the card isn't getting enough power? I've read online that that can be an issue.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2010 2:30:20 AM

Your PSU should shut off if it is loaded beyond capacity. In your case, I don't think you can ever reach 250W with that setup (unless you run like 5 HDDs or something).

The 5450 doesn't need any power connectors other than those which are already provided in the PCIe slot.

Also, are you plugging in the VGA cable to the video card's VGA output? (Yeah, I know this question sounds stupid, but believe me, I've seen people who plug in their video cable to the IGP outputs).

Other possible problems would be: faulty cable (doubt it, if you're using the same cable as before), faulty PCIe slot, faulty VGA socket, or faulty video card. In the last two cases, the only solution would be to exchange your card for a new one and see if it experiences the same problems. If perhaps it's the PCIe slot that's faulty, then that would require a motherboard replacement. If you can borrow a video card from someone, and that video card is 100% working, then try that on your system just to make sure.
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:20:29 PM

Well the problem infact relates to the 250x power supply.
Now i bet that the extra 12v ATX is infact not connected from the psu to the board.
You can see where it goes on the picture of the board you posted.
Now if that is not plugged in then its no suprise the new card will not work in the Pci-e slot.
That connector provides extra current for the Cpu and the Pci-e card slot.
So it looks like the reason why the card is not even showing up in windows hardware.
Its likely its not plugged in due to the fact the board has an intergrated graphics chip.
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:15:29 AM

Gracefully: Ok, I'm glad that an inadequate power supply isn't the problem. Yep, I'm using the same VGA cable so that can't be an issue. I'm going to RMA the card with Newegg regardless, but how likely do you think a faulty PCIe slot is? I don't want to go through the trouble of replacing the whole mobo.

Shaun: I appreciate the reply, but i double-checked and the ATX is plugged in.

I'll get back to you guys after my replacement comes.
m
l
December 15, 2010 7:13:22 AM

Do you have any other PCIe devices lying around? Sound card, USB 3.0 hub, anything? It doesn't have to be x16, we just have to test if the slot is working properly. I think there's little chance that the slot itself is faulty, but we can't be sure.
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:35:08 PM

So I recieved my new card yesterday and installed it and still nothing. After some research, I found out that the Radeon 5xxx series has some weird backwards compatibility issues with PCI-e 1.1 slots and this must be the problem. I updated the BIOS already so I'll email Asus soon and see if they can provide me with any help. Do you guys have any other suggestions (other than buying new hardware)?
m
l
May 4, 2011 6:15:19 PM

I have an HP calcite / ASUS Moca-ar motherboard also with 945g chipset. Radeon 5450 HD also does not work for me. Radeon 4550 HD and Nvidia GT 220 works for me also GT 430 is supposed to work with that board.

m
l
July 16, 2011 7:08:10 PM

I have exactly the same problem. I installed the HD5450 and selected the BIOS to boot with the PCI-e video card. The BIOS continues to boot with the on board VGA. I also updated the BIOS and the problem remains. It seems a lot of people have the same problem according to various forums. What is the answer?
m
l
!