Will i expect a higher performance using a lower type CPU?

anteckyle

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
well currently i bought a **** biostar motherboard that is am2+. i was using the phenom 965 X4 black edition and apparently it doesnt support its wattage (135 i believe). so what happens is that the phenom runs at """"""800 MHZ""""""" instead of running 3400MHZ (3.4GHZ). Im planning to install my old AMD athlon x2 Dual core 6000+ which is 3.1 ghz stock. all im trying to say is,

Am i gonna run black ops better using a AMD athlon x2 Dual core 6000+ than a phenom 965 x4 at 800 mhz?

notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
The dual core is probably a better bet if Black Ops doesn't have 4 core support, I think it does though. But i would try OCing the Phenom, or getting a new mother board, for 60 bucks you can get the same mobo i have which supports big CPUs like the X4.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The Phenom II X4 965 BE is utilizing Cool & Quiet
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/cool-n-quiet/Pages/cool-n-quiet.aspx

This is used just to conserve energy.
When your using your PC like in a game it runs at normal speeds.
It can be shut off usually in BIOS if you desire.
Check the maximum CPU TDP of your motherboard and the list of supported CPU's.
You can go to Biostar's website also to confirm it under support.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/index.php
If you are above the maximum TDP there is a good chance you could burn out your motherboard.The TDP of the Phenom II X4 965 BE is 125 watts.Many of the cheaper Biostar boards only support CPU's of 95 watts TDP.
If your looking for a good gaming CPU of only 95 watts TDP I would recommend a Phenom II X3 740 BE (better) or an Athlon II X3 450.
If your stuck with a Phenom II X4 965 BE you could save it for a new build with a better board.By the way many of the newer Athlon II X2 CPU's will outperform the older Athlon X2 6000+ in gaming plus they have a much lower TDP.The Phenom II X4 965 BE would easily outperform an old Athlon X2 6000+
See here

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=28

It's not Biostar's fault if you chose the wrong motherboard.

anteckyle

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

yeah it doesnt support the thermal power. it only goes up to 130W lmao im guessing its slowly dying

anteckyle

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
depending on how much wattage it does support it should work.
I've seen 140-watt chips run on board that said 125-watt, and same for 95-watt boards running 125-watt chips.
what's your power supply and have you looked for BIOS updates.?
verify that chip that you have, you talk of a phenom ii bit you keep saying phenom..
if you don't push that chip (clock it) then it should work.
my power supply is a 950W.
i dunno how to install bios updates, i will learn it later

MOst MB manufacturers have utilities on their websites on how to flash the BIOS; I'd first find out exact model number and revision of your board, and check to see if the processor is compatible first; the BIOS must be new enough to recognize/identify the processor, if the MB can even support it..

All AM2+ motherboards support up to 140W. Are you SURE that you're using an AM2+ motherboard? Also, the Phenom II X4 965BE has a TDP of 125W just like my Phenom II X4 940BE does and I'm using an AM2+ motherboard. There is something wrong here and I think it's that you didn't do a BIOS update so that your motherboard would recognise the CPU. I used to work at Tiger Direct as a salesman, these points are NOT speculation, these are things that I KNOW. AM2 goes up to 95W and AM2+/AM3 both go up to 140W. That is the essential difference between AM2 and AM2+ CPUs. If you drop your Athlon X2 into it and it works, update the BIOS to the latest version offered on Biostar's website and then try your Phenom II again. If it still doesn't work, return the motherboard as defective. It would probably help to know what model of motherboard you have. :sol:

So what you're saying is that this whole problem is because you couldn't be bothered learning how to do a BIOS update, not because you have a F$#%ing Biostar motherboard. Well that's good to know.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

There are many AM2+ motherboards that don't recommend using a CPU above 95 watts TDP.
For instance here is just one example . Read what it says "It is recommended to use 95w CPU"

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=387

Also

In the past there were articles about the Giga-byte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboards and other 780G boards having problems with 125 watt TDP CPU's burning out the motherboards (mosfets) although even if (THEY) were later officially recognized.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3380

If the manufacturer doesn't recommend using a higher TDP CPU they must obviously have a reason for it.
Sure it may work (for a short while).

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Both your cpu's consume similar power really but you have to install CPUZ and give the exact specs and every details.

There are 2 965's
One that is rated at 125W and the other at 140W

and the same goes for the Athlon X2 6000+ one of them is at 140W and the other at 125...

I have a Phenom 965... Running at 800 on idle... and at 3.6Ghz under Load. (Slightly overclocked)

Keep your Phenom 965
Install Winrar www.rarlabs.com (best and most used archiving tool)
Tools => Benchmark Hardware... and it will run your cpu at about 75 to 90%

Run CPUZ, and you should see that 800MHZ turn into 3400MHZ
ITS A FEATURE TO CONSUME LESS POWER !

I think your system is fine...