What 1155 chipset do you go with...

lukey2k10

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
evening.. well early morning anyway! i built my first rig ( since the days of my GA-7VRXP and athlon in 2003 :pt1cable: ) with a budget dual core and hd 4870 etc..

but seeing as I've got back into technology and the wonders I've decided to chuck away my iPad 2 ( good thing, but not for me ) and go for a sandy bridge i5 2500k build , i'd be using my corsair GS600 psi, hard drives and rams and cooler in this build , so all thats left is.. well... the mobo and GPU, but ill sort that out another time as i have either the 4870 ( although I'm worried about it being a bottleneck ) or go for a change and try out nvidia..

im struggling to choose the chipset for my motherboard, I'm hearing z68 is the one to go for, but then I'm hearing NO, p67 etc, also i hear the h67 is the worst for over clocking?
the i5 is costing me £150, although i like the look of the 2600k i7 but the price difference is making me stubborn, so I'm looking at a decent motherboard for preferably less then £150, my main choose was the asus p8p67 board for £100 ( standard ) but there seems such a huge selection from £70 to £200,

i was planning to wait it out a month or two for bulldozer but since 10 years ago I've never followed up on AMD , phenom? operation ? mean nothing to me.. so i'd like to stick with intel and a build that will last at least a couple of years!

any ideas?

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
If you are going to use a video card, then there's no point in using H67.

Z68 is the most recent release, offering a couple of advantages over P67 (SSD caching of hard drives; access to graphics features even when using a video card). However, those advantages may not be useful to you, and P67 motherboards can be rather cheaper.

I've built a system based on the ASUS motherboard Maziar recommended, and it works just fine.

LOL

There's no reason to use a H67 with a video card? HUH?

H67 has everything P67 has except for SLI/Xfire. If you don't desire SLI/Xfire, the H61/H67 is the way to go.

If you want extreme overclocking abilities or SLI/Xfire, then go P67 or Z68 with either 2-pci-e 8x/8x or 16x/8x.