Sign in with
Your question

How to go about booting a cloned hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2012 5:34:53 PM

I have cloned my hard drive with todo-back up, and wish to boot from it. I have the drive active and get the error Missing Bootmrg. I am trying to switch from an old 500gig 5400rpm Caviar Blue to a 2T 7200rpm Caviar Black. I would love to get some help with this! Thanks for anything you can do! I am running windows 8 by the way.

P.S. I have tried to repair the drive with a recovery tool on a hard drive to no success.
a b G Storage
December 28, 2012 5:46:35 PM

Were both drives in the PC when you did the clone? The best way is to clone from the original hard drive to an external USB drive and then from the USB drive to just the new drive.
m
l
December 28, 2012 5:51:13 PM

Jim_L9 said:
Were both drives in the PC when you did the clone? The best way is to clone from the original hard drive to an external USB drive and then from the USB drive to just the new drive.

Yes both drives were in the PC when I did this. So if I use my 1tb external to burn to then burn to the new hard drive it should work? What is the easiest way you could think of to do what I am trying to accomplish?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 28, 2012 6:06:08 PM

You did not clone the partition with the boot manager. There is no reason to involve an external drive, that accomplishes nothing. Use partition master instead and copy the entire disk.

www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:14:57 PM

unksol said:
You did not clone the partition with the boot manager. There is no reason to involve an external drive, that accomplishes nothing. Use partition master instead and copy the entire disk.

www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

I'm going to work right now, but will try it first thing in the morning! Thanks!
m
l
!