Disk Boot Failure after upgrading PSU - please help

esuitcase

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I have an HP m8000n media center PC running Windows Vista x86 and decided to upgrade the PSU today. The PSU that I am using is the ThermalTake TR2 600w.

After upgrading the PSU, I received a disk boot failure upon first reboot. The system fan has also stopped working, though I have since replaced it with a new one (using the 4 pin power connector rather than the 3 pin, which no longer works). I downloaded a Windows Vista x86 system disc and booted to it, only to find no listed installations of Windows Vista -- and thus was unable to do a repair installation of Windows. I opened the command prompt, used bootrec /fixmbr, as I heard that the problem could be related to my master boot record, but that has not fixed the issue. Suspecting that it was the new PSU, I re-installed the old PSU and experienced the same errors. I am running out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any help that can be given. Thanks for your time and any help that can be given.

esuitcase

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Thank you, guys :)

As it turns out, the computer had 2 HDDs, but I was operating under the premise that it only had 1. Connected power to the other HDD (which was hidden behind the HP Media Drive hangar) and it worked like a charm.

Boy, do I feel stupid. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
You're welcome.

It doesn't hurt to do a system inventory before tearing a system apart. It's what I do when I touch other people's systems. Just count how many cables are connected to peripherals, what kinds of power connectors they are, etc. just to make sure you aren't missing anything when you put it back together.

The disk which wasn't supplied with power was being detected because the SATA data cable was connected to it. The drive was recognized, but since it didn't have enough power to run, it just gave an error.