Samsung SSD 840 Pro on SATA II?

hatman5700

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hi all, I just recently purchased a Samsung SSD 840 Pro and had some concerns about it fitting in my rig - My motherboard only supports Sata II 3GB/s.

CURRENT COMPUTER SPECS
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
GPU: EVGA GTX 260 Super Clocked -> Upgrading to MSI GTX 680 Lightning
PSU: ULTRA X4 750W POWER SUPPLY MODULAR
RAM: Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 Tri PC12800 1600MHz (3x2GB)
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB 32MB/SATA-3G -> "Upgrading" to Samsung SSD 840 Pro
MOBO: Asus P6T Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 Motherboard
OTHER: LG 22X DVDRW SATA w/o Software

I've made the aforementioned upgrades with the intent of having better gaming performance, and while I'm not on any specific budget I'd rather wait a little until my next big purchase.
Do you think/Is it recommended that I get a new Processor + MOBO combo that supports SATA III so my new SSD can run optimally - or is the real world performance / end-game FPS effect not going to be that big of a difference?

SrsBsns

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Upgrading to an SSD no matter what the system will give you a very tangible difference in performance. Sata II will limit the overall throughput of the SSD but it will still have all the other benefits of a SSD and doing reads at 300 MB a second. That should be fine if you are gaming. I game on far less than that.

I say go for the drive now your system will get a very nice boost in performance. When you are ready to upgrade your motherboard and CPU it will be a double boost because you get Sata III.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
SATA 3 Gb/s is no big deal, because most important for everyday use are many IOPS @Q1 and low latency. These features don't depend on SATA Mode.
Q1 IO Performance is below SATA 1.5 Gb/s.
Another point is that the incredible sequential speeds have one really big problem, there is usually neither a source nor a target to transfer data to.