Asus p7h55/usb3 with i5 750 lynnfield CPU over temperature

hansoffate

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I am helping a friend build up a system tonight but I've gotten stumped. When booting, the monitor stays off until we hold the MemOk! button. It's able to get to bios then and boot into loading windows 7 installation off the DVD drive. The system always turns off at about the same percentage during the load. The most recent time we tried it, i noticed a cpu over temperature error before booting into the windows install. I'm sure everything is plugged in correctly and double checked to make sure all the fans were spinning (especially the CPU one). I used the stock thermal grease on the fan because I didn't want to use my 3 year old Artic Silver. Any suggestions on what to do for troubleshooting?

Cheers,
-Hans

SYSTEM:
Intel Core i5-760 2.80G
Mem 2Gx2 GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
1Tb 7k 64m SATA WD
ASUS DVD Burner
Asus P7H55/USB3 LGA 1156
HIS H577FK1GD HD5770

Over temp most likely cause is that the HSF is not seated properly. Need to reseat which req removing Thermo coumpound and reaplpling.

Some pointers on Installing Intel HSF
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=how+to+install+intel+cpu+fan&aq=0&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=c9f200e8d6433b2a

That said, The stock intel HSF is crap. A number of people have problems getting it seated properly (Not really the HSF, it's the pushpins) and the Stock HSF is at the bottom of the list when it comes to performance.

On Memory. (1) always run Memtest 86 from a bootable CD (Free down load) BEFORE attempting to install operating system!! It's an ISO so do not just copy iso to cd, bust use the "create an ISO".