Sign in with
Your question

Using 2 Modem Routers to setup a home network

Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2010 6:34:12 AM

I have a 4 port modem router and a single port modem router(recently got it from my ISP), I've been using the 4-port modem router to connect to the internet and bridging machines(which situated near each other).

I have plans to move these machines to another room and would like to have my 4 port modem routers to follow them, away from the source of my DSL cable.

My question is can I setup the single port modem router to work as a modem, near the DSL cable, the 4 port modem router to work as a router and bridge them across rooms using a pair of Powerline Homeplug devices? Can anyone point me to a guide to set this up?

Appreciate your help!!
Anonymous
April 24, 2010 6:47:31 AM

I'd be very cautious about recommending Homeplug solution unless they've already been proved to work in your home.

The general experience is that they simply don't work if your house wiring isn't laid out the way they need.

My own experience with cheap ones was that there was an incredible amount of noise (including interference with my audio equipment) and even when connecting within the same room the link was impossibly slow.

Obviously worth investigating, but ensure that the retailer agrees to a refund if they don't work in your home.
m
l
April 25, 2010 2:18:51 AM

Quote:
I'd be very cautious about recommending Homeplug solution unless they've already been proved to work in your home.

The general experience is that they simply don't work if your house wiring isn't laid out the way they need.

My own experience with cheap ones was that there was an incredible amount of noise (including interference with my audio equipment) and even when connecting within the same room the link was impossibly slow.

Obviously worth investigating, but ensure that the retailer agrees to a refund if they don't work in your home.

Hi Fihart,

Homeplug definitely works as I have been using the pairs to connect the PC in my bedroom to the modem router in my living room. But getting all these homeplugs will be too expensive so I'm looking into the options of setting this up with the modem routers I already own.
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2010 3:50:01 PM

sjneow said:
I have a 4 port modem router and a single port modem router(recently got it from my ISP), I've been using the 4-port modem router to connect to the internet and bridging machines(which situated near each other).

I have plans to move these machines to another room and would like to have my 4 port modem routers to follow them, away from the source of my DSL cable.

My question is can I setup the single port modem router to work as a modem, near the DSL cable, the 4 port modem router to work as a router and bridge them across rooms using a pair of Powerline Homeplug devices? Can anyone point me to a guide to set this up?

Appreciate your help!!

If I read you correctly, I think you're looking to set up a network within a network so you'll be using a configuration where the IP address of the secondary router needs to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I would personally assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

As to the Homeplug, I hate to disagree with Fihart but I've set up quite a few networks partly consisting of good quality Netgear plugs and they've worked quite well. One system had two of those picking signal up from a third through the electric mains and each in turn fed a wireless router and a couple fo ethernet wired PCs.

m
l
Anonymous
April 25, 2010 5:45:35 PM

The ones I tried were particularly awful Comtrend units issued with BT Homehub system. I suspect the Netgear units are far better, but they are not cheap.
m
l
April 25, 2010 5:53:59 PM

Quote:
The ones I tried were particularly awful Comtrend units issued with BT Homehub system. I suspect the Netgear units are far better, but they are not cheap.

Goodness - anything shipped by BT would be top of my suspects list. :D  The Netgear Powerlines are rock solid but as you say, a little on the dear side. I buy on e-Bay at about thirty quid a throw but it's all passed on to my customer at cost so I don't bother when I know I'm getting the quality and haven't got to keep going back in.

m
l
!