Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Suggestions for my new gaming system

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2010 8:32:33 AM

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions or comments regarding the new system I am considering purchasing. Please let me know what you think, in particular if anything will not be compatible, but also just if you have a better suggestion.

(My main use will be gaming.)

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E (I dont really know what benefit the premium version would bring, so I think I only need the 'E'). (1366 pin)
CPU: Intel i-7 950 3.06GHz
RAM: 6GB Kit ddr3 2000 (Kingston or Patriot maybe? Which would be better suited?) (for 1366 pin)
Graphics: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX470 1280MB
HDD: 128GB Kingston or Patriot Solid State Drive (I have heard from a friend that I should load Windows a some programs on the SSD, as everything loads a lot faster.)
2T Western Digital SATA drive (Green?)
DVD: (dont really need bluray, so just dvd reader / writer I guess, maybe a SATA Samsung?)
Case: Cooler Master Centurion Case (not sure which one)
Power: 600 Watts? 800 Watts? (Will this influence my case choice maybe?)
Sound: (Do I really need a good sound card? I am not going to be playing movies on the pc, I will likely not be playing games that loud either.)
Speakers: (I dont really want a 5 speaker system or anything big. And I wont be able to crank them that loud either... So something modest I think will be best.)
Network: I think the motherboard has a LAN port, right? Also, I currently have a WPN311 Rangemax Wireless card from when I needed wireless at previous place I was renting. I may use this again in the future. I am still using the Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router, but the wireless is not enabled.)

Other:
Windows 7 64-bit
Office 2007
New keyboard

I will keep my current Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor and Logitech G9 mouse.

If there is anything I have over-looked, let me know.

In the sections where I have not chosen an item, let me know what you think would be best.

Thanks!

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2010 8:35:34 PM

^ They've stopped producing the 920 long time back.

Mobo : $200 ASUS Sabertooth X58

Fast enough RAM : $130 Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 6GB (3 x 2GB)

Corsair is always costlier - $155 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB)

SSD : $138 OCZ Vertex 2 60GB - Fastest SSD's available as of now. But you should really wait for all the new stuff that's due out in weeks which will reduce the prices by quite a bit.

ODD : $21 LG SATA DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support

HDD : $59 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB - fastest HDD's as of now. Get 2 of these for a RAID 0 config if you really need that much storage.

Stay well away from the green drives - they are amongst the slowest. If you wanna go with WDC, go with the Cavier Black

PSU : This won't influence your case choice as long as you pick a standard ATX spec PSU. If you don't wanna SLI you gfx card, an 80+ rated 650 Watt unit will do just fine - $80 CORSAIR 650TX

Nobody needs a sound card / LAN card anymore these days. Every 40 dollar Mobo has integrated sound & LAN. The Sabertooth I linked you to has 8 channel audio & Gigabit LAN which is standard for almost all boards above $50.

Keep your Wireless adapter card if you're happy with the range & speed.

Speakers : Get something from Creative or Logitech according to your budget.

Btw, your choice of CPU & GPU is good. Stick to them. You can however get a 460 SLI system depending on how much performance you want and what games you play. You'll then have to get a bigger PSU though.

EDIT : Forgot 'bout the case - $60 COOLER MASTER HAF 912 - This is a new case & has been getting good reviews. However cases are a matter of personal choice & you can go with a Cooler Master Centurion if you want to.
September 20, 2010 9:54:25 AM

Best answer selected by wigpup382.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2010 10:02:09 AM

Thanks heaps for the input, guys. This weekend I should get enough time to sit down and go through it all in detail.

Much appreciated,

-S.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 10:50:47 AM

You're Welcome :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 8:56:13 PM

^The i7 950 costs only $15 more than the 930 on newegg & $50 more @ Microcenter. At this high end segment therefore, the 950 makes more sense IMO.
m
l
!