Sign in with
Your question

Picking an SSD, IOPS

Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2012 8:03:43 PM

Hello all, I'm currently in the market for an SSD. I've never had one, so I'd like some advice before I buy. I was thinking about getting the Samsung 840 Pro series 256GB @ $240.00. I will be installing Windows 7 64 bit on it, anti-virus, applications, and will also use it for gaming.

I've read that the random read/write speeds are more important than sequential for such things. Is this true? The Samsung 840 Pro has these specifications:

Random Read/Write Speed : 100k/90k IOPS
Sequential Read/Write 540 MB/s / 520 MB/s

How important is the IOPS? Many read/write up to 10k, 20, 40k, 50k, 75k, 100k IOPs. I want the fast load speeds and reliability, but as SSD performance- what is the difference? Is 100k IOPs overkill for what I'll be using it for? Would I notice a difference in the real-word between a 50k and 100K IOPS? The small difference in price seems very negligible to me.

Thank you,
-M

More about : picking ssd iops

December 29, 2012 2:48:16 PM

SpazeGoat said:
Hello all, I'm currently in the market for an SSD. I've never had one, so I'd like some advice before I buy. I was thinking about getting the Samsung 840 Pro series 256GB @ $240.00. I will be installing Windows 7 64 bit on it, anti-virus, applications, and will also use it for gaming.

I've read that the random read/write speeds are more important than sequential for such things. Is this true? The Samsung 840 Pro has these specifications:

Random Read/Write Speed : 100k/90k IOPS
Sequential Read/Write 540 MB/s / 520 MB/s

How important is the IOPS? Many read/write up to 10k, 20, 40k, 50k, 75k, 100k IOPs. I want the fast load speeds and reliability, but as SSD performance- what is the difference? Is 100k IOPs overkill for what I'll be using it for? Would I notice a difference in the real-word between a 50k and 100K IOPS? The small difference in price seems very negligible to me.

Thank you,
-M

@SpazeGoat I have a Samsung 830 256GB (around 239GB usable) 2.5" SSD in my Lenovo X1 running Win7 64 bit/ultimate where I do a mix of large and small, reads and writes depending on what working on. For word, small files including photo/image thumbnails, things like that the IOPS are good, bothing reading and writing. For working on videos, reading and writing, along with large powerpoint/slide decks especially when saving, the SSD has been great and estimate saving me several minutes per day when generating content.

For me the read performance improvement was good, however had been using the Hybrid HDD (e.g. Momentus XTs) for a couple of years so saw some boost, however if you generate content or save lots of content, thats where the SSD has been a big productivity boost.

Is 50K and 100K IOPS overkill for what you are doing? Depends on what you are doing and the benefit you will get. I saw big boost in iops on reads when I went to HHDDs couple years ago vs. HDDs, however no write improvements. For me the big benefit was being able see yet some additional read improvements, however a big improvement on writiting and reduced time waiting for things to be saved.

Ask yourself this, do you need or want the SSD, if you can benefit from getting more work (or fun) done in a given amount of time, less time waiting for things to load or start, or, to save, then that is a benefit. It comes down to what are you going to do with the SSD? Im going to add more SSD to other systems, then there are other systems that are doing fine or where SSD would be nice, yet for now the HHDDs are doing the job. If you are doing more reads and some writes, a HHDD might do the job, however if you can afford the SSD, go for it.

Here are some additional perspectives:

More Storage IO momentus HHDD and SSD moments
http://storageioblog.com/?p=3002

Cheers gs
m
l
!