Sign in with
Your question

Portable power supply for 3.5 external

Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2012 8:35:34 PM

I have a Iomega Prestige 2TB usb 3.0. It requires an outlet. I know that 2.5 external hd can draw power from the usb port, but the 3.5 like the one i have are required to be plugged in. I was wondering if there is a portbable battery that can be attached to it so that it can draw power from it. I know its not ideal and make the thing heavy, but I'm just wondering if a thing exsists and what it would be called. Think of an iphone with an iphone case charger. thats sort of the result i'm looking for.
a b ) Power supply
a c 353 G Storage
December 28, 2012 9:09:45 PM

It's not just power difference between 3.5" and 2.5". It is the voltage requirements. 2 1/2 In drives require just 5 Volts (reason thay can work off of a USB port AS long as the current does not exceed 0.5 Amps) However a 3.5" HDD requires both +12 V and +5 V. Normally +12 V is supplied from the "Brick" to the HDD enclosure then inside the Enclosure + 12 V goes to the drive and to a step down circuit that derives the needed +5 V.

If you are looking for portability (NO AC brick), you can get a recharable +12 V battery you could use that to power the HDD enclosure - BUT DO NOT recommend doing this as if the batteries dies while writing to the drive you could loose the drive.
m
l
May 6, 2013 12:39:07 PM

Hey Man!

Check out GoalZero .ca or GoalZero.com They have exactly what your looking for!
m
l
!