Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Windows 7
  • Games
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
November 10, 2011 6:14:53 PM

Hi,

I'm a pretty hardcore gamer. And, sound is vital to me. I use Windows XP currently, and I installed Windows 7 on the same machine. When I game on my Windows 7 OS, the sounds are all different. They're almost delayed. If I use an ability in a game, the sound has a small delay between the skill used and when it connects - and that's very important to me because of the type of game I play.

How is it that I can use Windows XPs sounds on Windows 7? I don't like the way my drivers work with Windows 7. It's too out there for me.

More about : windows drivers windows

November 10, 2011 8:10:49 PM

In windows 7, you should check for the latest sound drivers and download the 32-bit installer if the windows is 32bit and 64 bit installer if the windows is 64bit.
Check if the problem comes only in one game or all the games, might be some game issues and you need some patches for it from its official website.
m
l
November 10, 2011 8:30:37 PM

Hi,

I'm sure that when I downloaded the sound drivers, they were 32Bit, as well as my Operating System. I don't have any games to test it on besides the one, and, if I did, I don't play them enough to hear a notable difference. Let me elaborate on what I would like: I want the sound that I get on Windows XP to be on Windows 7. This goes for everything. Movies, music, games, etc.

Thanks!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 8:38:02 PM

Are you hearing any difference in sound for movies and music?

What hardware are you using?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 426 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 11:05:55 PM

What are the specs of your computer?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 11:26:15 PM

Microsoft completely rewrote the audio stack with Vista, and kept it with 7. DirectSound was removed, so how you think things should sound--don't.

If you have a Creative Labs card, use the CL drivers and software (especially ALchemy). That will restore how it should hear.

If you have a Realtek HD onboard audio, get the latest driver from filehippo and use the Realtek software for some tweaks.

Otherwise, you're sorta SoL'd.
m
l
November 19, 2011 2:16:49 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry for the late reply. To address everyone's post...

@WR2: If you mean what sound card, I'm using the Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound card.
@area51reopen: Core 2 Duo e6600, 3GB RAM, 650W PSU, ABIT IL9 Pro Motherboard & Windows XP Pro with latest Service Pack
@Knight_of_Baa: Could you elaborate? I reformatted back to XP and would like to re-install full well knowing what to do once I install this software.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2011 2:48:22 AM

Since you've gone back to XP, there's no problem. All will work as it once did.

The issue with Vista/7 is DirectX. Specifically: DirectSound. It no longer exists in Vista/7 (at least the hardware calls, which really means it doesn't exist period). And DirectSound allowed direct access to the sound card, which is how you could get those really cool EAX effects. So companies have had to implement workarounds/tricks in order to re-create how DirectSound calls worked for games--or the games had to be coded to work in the new audio stack.

For other things, the new audio stack is really nice. You have per-application volume control vs. global audio settings for each i/o type (mic, wave, cd, etc.). I have the volume for my browser set low, and the volume for my media player set higher, for instance.

I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, and I'm running 64-bit 7 Pro. I love it (although I changed the theme to Windows Classic and use the Classic Shell from Sourceforge to make the GUI not look like a silly mac), and I have come to appreciate the way the audio subsystem works. I have ALchemy installed (comes with the CL driver set), and it brings back the audio to games the way it should be.
m
l
November 19, 2011 4:55:16 PM

knight_of_baawa said:
Since you've gone back to XP, there's no problem. All will work as it once did.

The issue with Vista/7 is DirectX. Specifically: DirectSound. It no longer exists in Vista/7 (at least the hardware calls, which really means it doesn't exist period). And DirectSound allowed direct access to the sound card, which is how you could get those really cool EAX effects. So companies have had to implement workarounds/tricks in order to re-create how DirectSound calls worked for games--or the games had to be coded to work in the new audio stack.

For other things, the new audio stack is really nice. You have per-application volume control vs. global audio settings for each i/o type (mic, wave, cd, etc.). I have the volume for my browser set low, and the volume for my media player set higher, for instance.

I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, and I'm running 64-bit 7 Pro. I love it (although I changed the theme to Windows Classic and use the Classic Shell from Sourceforge to make the GUI not look like a silly mac), and I have come to appreciate the way the audio subsystem works. I have ALchemy installed (comes with the CL driver set), and it brings back the audio to games the way it should be.

Well, I have Windows 7 now, and alchemy installed and it doesn't detect my game, and if I add it, it doesn't change the sound.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2011 6:10:16 PM

khubani said:
Well, I have Windows 7 now, and alchemy installed and it doesn't detect my game, and if I add it, it doesn't change the sound.
Depends on the game. And some games require more effort. Creative has a listing of games supported ( faq) at the time that article was written. There are other workarounds from CL, but unfortunately that part of their site appears to be down at the moment.

Also, if the Creative software didn't install it (though I don't know how that wouldn't be), you could try OpenAL. Otherwise: the issue is simply with how Microsoft changed the audio stack to run in software mode, rather than kernel mode.
m
l
!