Sign in with
Your question

New build - HELP PLEASE

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2010 11:59:31 AM

Hello, I have earnt $ on a website called lockerz and have ~1500$. I am looking to buy a new gaming PC build but I am unsure what to get and what to get. :( 

Things I currently have : :sol: 
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa gaming keyboard
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 3500dpi gaming mouse + Razer Goliathus mouse mat
Monitor: Acer G225HQ
Antivirus: Bullguard

Things I want but dont know whether they will work in conjuntion:

CPU: Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz Quad LGA1156 8MB Cache

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N620 Cooler 6 Heat Pipes with blue LED

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 P55 4DDR3 4VRM PCIEx16 GLAN SATA3 ATX

RAM: MachXtreme 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Graphics Card: eVGA GF GTX460 1G DDR5 EE SC (Superclocked, External exhaust edition)

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA3 64M (WD1002FAEX)

Case: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced

Power Supply: Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro w/ modular

DVD Burner: Asus DRW-24B1LT 24x DVDRW SATA LightScribe

Fans: Some (4-5) Blue LED Coolermaster fans :ange: 

I am wondering whether this build would work, or downgrading the mobo is neccessary because i am pretty much clueless what motherboard to get
Main use; high end gaming - high fps when playing on high setting in games like just cause 2, call of duty 7+, Bioshock2, ect.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and all suggustions / ideas are welcome!

PS: I dont know whether a "chipset" is something on the motherboard or something you need to purchase separately. ( anything i havent noted that are neccessary in a computer, please inform me of) :love: 

PPS: Im buying this computer at http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4 go there to see the the possible things i can buy

More about : build

September 19, 2010 1:18:52 PM

the processor and motherboard will work together.

The 1156 motherboards are dual channel ram. You'll do better getting 4Gb or 8Gb rather than 6 GB.

the 700W PSU is overkill for a single 460. you can go as low as a 450 if you will always be single card, 600 if you want to add a second 460 in SLi mode.

you wont need a heatsink unless you plan to overclock your CPU. Stock fan is adequate. If you do plan to overclock, a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is much better.

a chipset is the set of instructions and components that make up a motherboard. That chipset is the Intel P55 instruction set, which is compatible with most of their equipment. (The I7-9xx series uses a different chipset, X58).

m
l
September 19, 2010 1:27:29 PM

I do plan to overclock quite a bit... and i will probably SLI my cards... I would like all my fans to have a blue LED on them so i am still unsure about that and I am really interested in this 6gb RAM, are you sure I cant change the mobo to something about the same price that will accept 3 RAM sticks.. im still very noob at this so incase i sound like i dont know what im talking about please explain. :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2010 1:55:13 PM

you can put the 6gb in, but it won't run dual channel. Most games dont use more than 4 gb now. If you're set on 6, try to get 2 dual channbel kits: 1 kit of 4GB (2x2 GB) and 1 kit of 2 GB (2x1GB) from the same company with the same speed and timings.

should work out for 6gb

if you're going to overclock, check this list out:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

its the best cooling heatsinks tested by that site. Some of them are rather expensive.

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ isn't in their top 10, but its a $25 cooler compared to $90 (or more) for some of them, and its still a top 20 or 30 cooler (out of nearly 500 tested)
m
l
September 19, 2010 2:22:45 PM

you want this cooler instead:
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id...

its the 212, and much better than the first one you linked

I was sayng that for 6 GB, you'd get 4 sticks: 2x2GB (total 4 GB) and 2x1GB (total 2GB) stick. If each kit of dual channel is the same speed and timing, then there would be no interference or problem. You place one kit in the white slots, and 1 kit in the blue slots.

Alternately, buy just 1 4 GB kit (2x2GB) or 2 such kits for 8 GB

If you get only 3 sticks all of 2 GB, then you lose the speed advantages of having dual channel RAM in the first place
m
l
!