Antec 900 Gaming Case -vs- Corsair Obsidian 700D

toosober

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
It is truly amazing what a difference a computer case can make.
I have been a huge fan of Antec and their computer cases for over a decade.
Like any other computer enthusiast, my PC is in a constant state of flux. A new SSD here, more memory there, new video cards here. I found that I simply ran out of room with my Antec 900 Computer Case.
The positives of this case are many, awesome ventilation, good looks, and excellent build quality, typical of Antec products. It has more 120mm fans than most, and a huge 200mm fan topside. Once you get to the point of having more than 2 hard disks, and you run multiple video cards in SLI or Crossfire, this case starts to be a fitment and cable management nightmare.

My Gaming System Overview:

Intel Core i7 930 CPU over-clocked to 4200 MHz
Corsair H70 closed loop water cooling system
12 gigabytes of Corsair XMS DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
2x PNY XLR8 nVidia GTX 275 video cards in SLI
Asus P6TD Deluxe motherboard
Corsair HX 1000 watt power supply
2x Intel 80 gigabyte SSD disks in RAID 0 (Reads @ 498 megabytes a second)
3x Seagate 7200.10 1 Terabyte Hard Disk Drives w/ short stroked partitions in RAID 0 for video editing and in RAID 5 for backups
Toshiba DVD RW
2344d04c4a775dc6.jpg

The fitment nightmare began rearing its ugly head once I upgrade to 2 Intel 80gig SSDs and added a Corsair HX1000 Watt Power supply. Getting all the cables neat and tidy, and fitting everything inside the Antec 900 became quite the challenge. It seemed as if I was trying to cram a blown 5.0 motor inside a Ford Fiesta!

Here are some pictures of the system with all the goodies installed inside the Antec 900:
2344d04c0d123eab.jpg

2344d04c0d0edd2d.jpg

2344d04c0d14b38c.jpg

As you can see, I am completely out of room! The good thing about the Antec 900 is that my system still remained very cool.

Enter the Corsair Obsidian 700D.
I have been a huge fan of Corsair over the last 7 years. I have been using their memory in my system builds almost exclusively. They make high quality memory.
In the last couple years, Corsair has added more products to their line, power supplies, SSDs, liquid and air CPU cooling systems, and computer cases to name a few.
I needed a new case, It was a toss up between 2 cases, the Corsair Obsidian 800D and the Corsair 700D. The 700D is actually the newer model of the two, it lacks a couple features that the 800D has, and the big thing for me was that the case panel does not come with a side window. I don't know about you, but I am quite the exhibitionist. I like to show off my junk! This was the number one reason I did not pull the trigger for a bit on a case upgrade.
That changed with a visit to MicroCenter. MicroCenter just so happens to carry the Corsair Obsidian 800D side panel with the window, which also happens to fit the 700D just fine.
Decision made, I picked up the case and side window, and put all my junk in it.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

2344d04c10574474.jpg

2344d04c105ae613.jpg

2344d04c1052c42d.jpg

This case is HUGE! Everything really looks so small in this system and I have a full size ATX motherboard and 2 full sized video cards.
The cable management in this case is amazing, everything is very well organized and tidy.
I achieved not only the capacity I was looking for, but also the look.

Mission accomplished.

tecmo34

Administrator
Amazing difference!! It makes me want to thank about upgrading my Antec 1200 to a different case but my mind is more set on the Silverstone RV02. However, this is getting me thinking that maybe Corsair 700D / 800D is the way to go :)