Gtx 460 vs 465

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepking

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
So newegg has a deal were i can buy a gtx 465 for a little over 200 this week but 229 for the gtx 460
is this deal as GREAT as it sounds?

and is the gtx 460 better then the gtx 465?

Solution
With all that being said there is one thing that I would like to point out in advance to purchasing ANY video cards in the near future. Just something that I've sat up and taken notice of in the past month or so. On Cod:MW2 there are several map that are using up 800MB of videa memory @ 1920x1080. Now with the exception of a few models of 460 that have been upgraded to 1GB most of them are 768MB, this means that no matter what kind of configuration you use on the 400's with 768MB's of ram (SLi or non-SLi) it will still be offloading part of the framebuffer workload to the system memory which negates the whole purpose of the Fermi design. The Fermi is designed to do all calculations on the GPU through shared memory caches, which is a...

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Its a tough one really.

Technically yes the 465 will win due to extra processing grunt but i'd recommend the 460 as its based on a more refined architecture, consumes less power, generates less heat etc. The 465 is basically a dieted version of the hot 470 and 480's.

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

Agreed. The 465 is more powerful, and can sometimes be flashed/unlocked to be a 470, but the 460 runs cooler and quieter, and uses less power. If the 465 is cheaper then the 460, and a little bit more heat/power consumption doesn't scare you, or you'd really like a 470, then grab the 465.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Just yesterday I flashed an MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition (10 memory chip model). Easy to do and quite fast and cool running. Basically have a GTX 470 now with a solid copper cooler for $260. Still, its an original Fermi and produces a good deal of heat which goes into the room, even if the card is staying cool.

There is a "non-flashable" (8 memory chip) Gigabyte GTX 465 at Newegg this week that comes to $189.99 after an "eblast" subscriber promo code and MIR. Pretty decent deal. In spite of what wa1 said they do OC pretty well. Again, they do put out more heat and use more power - there's always a downside to a good deal. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125332

*watches his point fly over rocky41's head*

LOL I actually hardly ever use an Ellipsis when posting on the forums. I prefer complete sentences with appropriate punctuation. However, I do quite often use too many commas, and may indeed use them inappropriately! My high school English teacher seemed to love circling all my commas with red ink. :(

P.S. I'm also a stickler for capitalizing the first letter of the first word in each sentence as well. :)

TechJunkie3281

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010

Meh, aggree and disaggre on this one. If you're running the correct cooling you can overclock them the same. It just comes down to are you setup for it.

TechJunkie3281

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010

Actually....it's not, the GTX 460 utilizes the GF104 Chip and the 465/470/480 utilizes the GF100 Chip, hence the higher native core clocks on the 460, and the lower temperatures, and low power consumption. So while they're both Fermi's they technically are still apples and oranges. With that said the 465 has a few one ups on the 460 that most people dont bother to acknowledge. Like the ability to perform triple and quadruple SLi or the fact that it has more polymorph engines (which helps out tons in developement and rendering workstations)

TechJunkie3281

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
With all that being said there is one thing that I would like to point out in advance to purchasing ANY video cards in the near future. Just something that I've sat up and taken notice of in the past month or so. On Cod:MW2 there are several map that are using up 800MB of videa memory @ 1920x1080. Now with the exception of a few models of 460 that have been upgraded to 1GB most of them are 768MB, this means that no matter what kind of configuration you use on the 400's with 768MB's of ram (SLi or non-SLi) it will still be offloading part of the framebuffer workload to the system memory which negates the whole purpose of the Fermi design. The Fermi is designed to do all calculations on the GPU through shared memory caches, which is a first in the graphics card industry, this not only reduces the communication times for processing graphical data it also alleviates stress and possible bottlenecks on the CPU and RAM's end. Only the bare neccessities are passed through to the CPU/RAM with Fermi cards if they are running right. Now....on to what troubles me about this scenario. if games that came out last year are running in and around the 800MB area then that means that within a year or so they'll be breaching the 1GB and getting dangerously close to invalidating the value of the 460/465/470 leaving only the 480 with it's 1.25-1.5GB GDDR5 setup as a viable consideration for new systems. So...think hard, dont rush out and buy the 460-470 like I did. Future proof it and save yourself the money in the long run.

Solution

notty22

Distinguished

Most of that is correct. But the press releases, I believe are telling the tech sites , its a Fermi
If you look to distinguish by looking at Nvidia's site its hard to do.
But for example
GeForce GTX 460: Fermi for the Masses
, http://www.techspot.com/review/299-palit-inno3d-geforce-gtx-460/page2.html
GeForce GTX 460 in Detail
Based on Fermi's third-generation Streaming Multiprocessor architecture, the GeForce GTX 460 boasts 336 CUDA cores, which is almost twice the shader power of the GT200 architecture used by the GeForce GTX 260. This means that the GeForce GTX 460 has just 4.5% fewer cores when compared to the GTX 465.

The GeForce GTX 460 also has the same number of TMUs (Texture Mapping Units) as the GeForce GTX 470 with 56 in total, 27% more than the GeForce GTX 465. The Inno3D GeForce GTX 460 (768MB version) features 24 ROPs (Raster Operations Pipelines) while the 1024MB versions will carry 32 like the GeForce GTX 465.

edit: I should say , I agree with some of what you say, in that your rallying the gtx 465 point of view. In most benchmarks its about or faster than the 460@[strike]765 [/strike]675:)while its at 607mhz. But evidently Nvidia was able to trim over a billion transistors away from the gf100 to the gf104 and not lose a lot of performance , at least in current games.

Status
Not open for further replies.