Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problems with DVD Installation

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 9:15:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

When I try to install UT2004 DVD Edition, I always get the same error
half-way through the installation. The error says:

"Failed reading source file: <source file>

The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning the
CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."


I had the DVD disk replaced but I still get the same error (which would
indicate that maybe the DVD drive is the culprit).

Here's the odd thing though: if I copy the entire contents of the DVD to my
hard-drive (the copy is 100% successful) and then run setup.exe from my
hard-drive, I still get the same "media bad" error. Could the DVD drive
have caused the copy operation to corrupt the files?

I have a 3-year old Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B combo drive.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 5:33:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:15:49 -0400, gusmeister wrote:

> had the DVD disk replaced but I still get the same error (which would
> indicate that maybe the DVD drive is the culprit).

Some drives may be incompatible with the modern copy protection
techniques. I would suggest to try out on another drive.

--



Bora Ugurlu



mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 6:38:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
have tried all of the following but to no avail:

1) Installing in safe mode.
2) Installing from a different DVD-ROM Drive.
3) Copying the DVD onto my HDD and installing from there.
4) Installing on a clean install of XP Pro.
5) Installing onto my second HDD.
6) Right-clicking and doing "Update Driver" on majority of hardware in
device manager.
7) Re-Installing XP Home SP1, and doing a full windows update.
8) Completely removing the demo version.

To expand on the message you got, I get very much the same thing.
It's in an exception dialog, but usually has a silly error in brackets
next to the main error.

Example:

"Failed reading source file: <source file> (operation completed
successfully)

The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning
the
CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."

The silly bit being thee "(operation completed successfully)".

I have come to the conclusion that the installer just doesnt like
something about my hardware. I think I have eliminated the drive
through step 3. It's bizzarre because the DEMO installed and ran fine
- shame, but I think I am just gonna have to give up and swap for
another game :( 

"gusmeister" <gusmeister_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<I2Yfc.29419$2Z6.1192385@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> When I try to install UT2004 DVD Edition, I always get the same error
> half-way through the installation. The error says:
>
> "Failed reading source file: <source file>
>
> The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning the
> CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."
>
>
> I had the DVD disk replaced but I still get the same error (which would
> indicate that maybe the DVD drive is the culprit).
>
> Here's the odd thing though: if I copy the entire contents of the DVD to my
> hard-drive (the copy is 100% successful) and then run setup.exe from my
> hard-drive, I still get the same "media bad" error. Could the DVD drive
> have caused the copy operation to corrupt the files?
>
> I have a 3-year old Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B combo drive.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 9:50:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

"Simon Barbour" <simon_barbour@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:51cb8dde.0404290138.16b7a9e5@posting.google.com...
> I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
> have tried all of the following but to no avail:
>
> 1) Installing in safe mode.
> 2) Installing from a different DVD-ROM Drive.
> 3) Copying the DVD onto my HDD and installing from there.
> 4) Installing on a clean install of XP Pro.
> 5) Installing onto my second HDD.
> 6) Right-clicking and doing "Update Driver" on majority of hardware in
> device manager.
> 7) Re-Installing XP Home SP1, and doing a full windows update.
> 8) Completely removing the demo version.
>
> To expand on the message you got, I get very much the same thing.
> It's in an exception dialog, but usually has a silly error in brackets
> next to the main error.
>
> Example:
>
> "Failed reading source file: <source file> (operation completed
> successfully)
>
> The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning
> the
> CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."
>
> The silly bit being thee "(operation completed successfully)".
>
> I have come to the conclusion that the installer just doesnt like
> something about my hardware. I think I have eliminated the drive
> through step 3. It's bizzarre because the DEMO installed and ran fine
> - shame, but I think I am just gonna have to give up and swap for
> another game :( 
>

Why don't you try ripping the files to the hard drive with WinIso or some
other program and creating a disk image to load from? It sounds as if the
copy protection is throwing your system off. I know you can load from a disk
image, so it's just a matter of creating one. Drop me an email if you need
help.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 9:54:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Did you try this?
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&...

"Simon Barbour" <simon_barbour@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:51cb8dde.0404290138.16b7a9e5@posting.google.com...
> I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
><snip>.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 12:27:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Simon Barbour <simon_barbour@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
> have tried all of the following but to no avail:
>
> 1) Installing in safe mode.
> 2) Installing from a different DVD-ROM Drive.
> 3) Copying the DVD onto my HDD and installing from there.
> 4) Installing on a clean install of XP Pro.
> 5) Installing onto my second HDD.
> 6) Right-clicking and doing "Update Driver" on majority of hardware in
> device manager.
> 7) Re-Installing XP Home SP1, and doing a full windows update.
> 8) Completely removing the demo version.
>
> To expand on the message you got, I get very much the same thing.
> It's in an exception dialog, but usually has a silly error in brackets
> next to the main error.
> install
> Example:
>
> "Failed reading source file: <source file> (operation completed
> successfully)
>
> The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning
> the
> CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."
>
> The silly bit being thee "(operation completed successfully)".
>
> I have come to the conclusion that the installer just doesnt like
> something about my hardware. I think I have eliminated the drive
> through step 3. It's bizzarre because the DEMO installed and ran fine
> - shame, but I think I am just gonna have to give up and swap for
> another game :( 

I was able to work around the problem by downloading/installing new firmware
for my Samsung CDRW/DVD combo drive. The new firmware recognized the new
DVD copy protection.

I agree; that error message is not intuitive at all.
!