Problems with DVD Installation

When I try to install UT2004 DVD Edition, I always get the same error
half-way through the installation. The error says:

"Failed reading source file: <source file>

The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning the
CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."

I had the DVD disk replaced but I still get the same error (which would
indicate that maybe the DVD drive is the culprit).

Here's the odd thing though: if I copy the entire contents of the DVD to my
hard-drive (the copy is 100% successful) and then run setup.exe from my
hard-drive, I still get the same "media bad" error. Could the DVD drive
have caused the copy operation to corrupt the files?

I have a 3-year old Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B combo drive.
5 answers Last reply
More about problems installation
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:15:49 -0400, gusmeister wrote:

    > had the DVD disk replaced but I still get the same error (which would
    > indicate that maybe the DVD drive is the culprit).

    Some drives may be incompatible with the modern copy protection
    techniques. I would suggest to try out on another drive.

    --

    Bora Ugurlu

    mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
    have tried all of the following but to no avail:

    1) Installing in safe mode.
    2) Installing from a different DVD-ROM Drive.
    3) Copying the DVD onto my HDD and installing from there.
    4) Installing on a clean install of XP Pro.
    5) Installing onto my second HDD.
    6) Right-clicking and doing "Update Driver" on majority of hardware in
    device manager.
    7) Re-Installing XP Home SP1, and doing a full windows update.
    8) Completely removing the demo version.

    To expand on the message you got, I get very much the same thing.
    It's in an exception dialog, but usually has a silly error in brackets
    next to the main error.

    Example:

    "Failed reading source file: <source file> (operation completed
    successfully)

    The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning
    the
    CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."

    The silly bit being thee "(operation completed successfully)".

    I have come to the conclusion that the installer just doesnt like
    something about my hardware. I think I have eliminated the drive
    through step 3. It's bizzarre because the DEMO installed and ran fine
    - shame, but I think I am just gonna have to give up and swap for
    another game :(

    "gusmeister" <gusmeister_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<I2Yfc.29419$2Z6.1192385@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > When I try to install UT2004 DVD Edition, I always get the same error
    > half-way through the installation. The error says:
    >
    > "Failed reading source file: <source file>
    >
    > The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning the
    > CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."
    >

    > I had the DVD disk replaced but I still get the same error (which would
    > indicate that maybe the DVD drive is the culprit).
    >
    > Here's the odd thing though: if I copy the entire contents of the DVD to my
    > hard-drive (the copy is 100% successful) and then run setup.exe from my
    > hard-drive, I still get the same "media bad" error. Could the DVD drive
    > have caused the copy operation to corrupt the files?
    >
    > I have a 3-year old Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B combo drive.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Simon Barbour" <simon_barbour@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
    > have tried all of the following but to no avail:
    >
    > 1) Installing in safe mode.
    > 2) Installing from a different DVD-ROM Drive.
    > 3) Copying the DVD onto my HDD and installing from there.
    > 4) Installing on a clean install of XP Pro.
    > 5) Installing onto my second HDD.
    > 6) Right-clicking and doing "Update Driver" on majority of hardware in
    > device manager.
    > 7) Re-Installing XP Home SP1, and doing a full windows update.
    > 8) Completely removing the demo version.
    >
    > To expand on the message you got, I get very much the same thing.
    > It's in an exception dialog, but usually has a silly error in brackets
    > next to the main error.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > "Failed reading source file: <source file> (operation completed
    > successfully)
    >
    > The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning
    > the
    > CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."
    >
    > The silly bit being thee "(operation completed successfully)".
    >
    > I have come to the conclusion that the installer just doesnt like
    > something about my hardware. I think I have eliminated the drive
    > through step 3. It's bizzarre because the DEMO installed and ran fine
    > - shame, but I think I am just gonna have to give up and swap for
    > another game :(

    Why don't you try ripping the files to the hard drive with WinIso or some
    other program and creating a disk image to load from? It sounds as if the
    copy protection is throwing your system off. I know you can load from a disk
    image, so it's just a matter of creating one. Drop me an email if you need
    help.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Did you try this?
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360677

    "Simon Barbour" <simon_barbour@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
    ><snip>.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Simon Barbour <simon_barbour@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > I have the exact same problem. I wouldnt buy a new drive just yet. I
    > have tried all of the following but to no avail:
    >
    > 1) Installing in safe mode.
    > 2) Installing from a different DVD-ROM Drive.
    > 3) Copying the DVD onto my HDD and installing from there.
    > 4) Installing on a clean install of XP Pro.
    > 5) Installing onto my second HDD.
    > 6) Right-clicking and doing "Update Driver" on majority of hardware in
    > device manager.
    > 7) Re-Installing XP Home SP1, and doing a full windows update.
    > 8) Completely removing the demo version.
    >
    > To expand on the message you got, I get very much the same thing.
    > It's in an exception dialog, but usually has a silly error in brackets
    > next to the main error.
    > install
    > Example:
    >
    > "Failed reading source file: <source file> (operation completed
    > successfully)
    >
    > The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning
    > the
    > CD to remove any dirt, check your CD drive, and try again."
    >
    > The silly bit being thee "(operation completed successfully)".
    >
    > I have come to the conclusion that the installer just doesnt like
    > something about my hardware. I think I have eliminated the drive
    > through step 3. It's bizzarre because the DEMO installed and ran fine
    > - shame, but I think I am just gonna have to give up and swap for
    > another game :(

    I was able to work around the problem by downloading/installing new firmware
    for my Samsung CDRW/DVD combo drive. The new firmware recognized the new
    DVD copy protection.

    I agree; that error message is not intuitive at all.

DVD CD-Rom Video Games