snopes has "tsunami" pics

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 4, 2005 11:05:12 AM

The Chinese tidal festival pics have shown up on Snopes.com along with
another supposed photo of the tsunami taken at Phuket. The wave looks like
it is almost 500 feet high.

Presumably whoever starts circulating these pictures knows that they do not
depict what they say they do, so why do they do it? Are they practical
jokes, or what? I simply do not understand the mentality.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

Ne Obliviscaris

More about : snopes tsunami pics

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:10:55 PM

Perhaps you should take a psychology course, and see if you can come to
terms with the concepts of 'antisocial behaviour', 'practical jokers',
'persons with too much time on their hands'...

(thinks to self) I think it is actually a similar principle to the one
where people call themselves 'World Famous'. I mean, if they really
were famous, why would they have to say it?

Oh dear, did I think that out loud? Dang.
Chrlz
(Even More Famous Photographer)
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:08:29 PM

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:05:12 -0800, "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The Chinese tidal festival pics have shown up on Snopes.com along with
>another supposed photo of the tsunami taken at Phuket. The wave looks like
>it is almost 500 feet high.
>
>Presumably whoever starts circulating these pictures knows that they do not
>depict what they say they do, so why do they do it? Are they practical
>jokes, or what? I simply do not understand the mentality.
>
>--
>Christopher J. Campbell
>World Famous Flight Instructor
>Port Orchard, WA
>

>Ne Obliviscaris

I have learned myself to stop wasting concern and effort figuring out
many things in life among those are the people who circulate those
bogus shots, those who write and propogate harmful virri, wives etc.
;o)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:53:56 PM

ZONED! wrote:

> I have learned myself to stop wasting concern and effort figuring out
> many things in life among those are the people who circulate those
> bogus shots, those who write and propogate harmful virri, wives etc.

I once had that kind of wife.... and still don't know the propagation
path....

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:05:12 -0800, "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The Chinese tidal festival pics have shown up on Snopes.com along with
>another supposed photo of the tsunami taken at Phuket. The wave looks like
>it is almost 500 feet high.
>
>Presumably whoever starts circulating these pictures knows that they do not
>depict what they say they do, so why do they do it? Are they practical
>jokes, or what? I simply do not understand the mentality.

They are the ones who have just enough morals not to write computer viruses (or
perhaps don't know how).

Ben
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:14:14 PM

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps you should take a psychology course, and see if you can come to
> terms with the concepts of 'antisocial behaviour', 'practical jokers',
> 'persons with too much time on their hands'...
>

> (thinks to self) I think it is actually a similar principle to the one
> where people call themselves 'World Famous'. I mean, if they really
> were famous, why would they have to say it?
>
> Oh dear, did I think that out loud? Dang.
> Chrlz
> (Even More Famous Photographer)

Touché. Actually, of course, we are all world famous here. :-)

"World Famous Flight Instructor" is a long running inside joke on the
aviation groups. I had jokingly pointed out that we were all "world famous"
because there are people all over the world on Usenet that we talk to.
Besides, I had a sister-in-law in France, and she had heard of me, right?
OK, it was weak, but it is the best I have. I've got a long way to go before
I achieve my goal of becoming the P.T. Barnum of flight instructors.
!