Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best bang for bucks sata6 hard-drive

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 28, 2012 11:55:08 PM

im looking to spend between 80 and 110$, whats the best bang for bucks mechanical sata6 hard-drives, between 1 and 2 tbs that would have top speed? thanks, i usually like western digital black but kind of pricey anything else someone can recommand thanks.

a b G Storage
December 28, 2012 11:57:51 PM

thats 5400 rpm, and 32megs cache, not impressed sorry, looking for one with 64megs and 7200rpm, whats ur pick?

m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2012 11:58:11 PM

iceclock said:
thats 5400 rpm, and 32megs cache, not impressed sorry, looking for one with 64megs and 7200rpm, whats ur pick?

Changed it because I was looking at the wrong one.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:00:31 AM

thats serial ata3 not 6..., i think ur making quick recommandations...

m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:04:20 AM

ive seen a difference going from 3.0 to 6.0 gigz a sec.

also i dislike samsung drives. got anything better to recommand?

m
l
December 29, 2012 12:05:31 AM

iceclock said:
ive seen a difference going from 3.0 to 6.0 gigz a sec.

also i dislike samsung drives. got anything better to recommand?

It's either the F3 or the WD Black.
m
l

Best solution

a c 152 G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:05:50 AM

Western Digital Blacks are about as fast as they get(I had the 2TB one, worked well, but was a bit loud), but even they do not pass the limits of SATA 3gigabit/sec. They DO have a SATA 6 interface, but don't expect much extra because of it.

Seagate's new drives(1TB/Platter) are very fast too. I had the 2TB one PEAK at almost 190megabytes/sec.

That said. SSD's are fast more then anything because of the insanely fast access times.

The old HD tune is not accurate on access times over 1tb drives, but this should let you get an idea of the speeds.

WDC Black 2TB
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/6504/wdblack2000.png
New Seagate 2TB - The one with the short warranty :( 
http://imageshack.us/a/img829/7661/cheapseagatehdtune.p...
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:20:42 AM

thanks nuke, i already got a 256gb ssd, and a 640 gig western sata2 blue i beleive,

so for the money what would u recommand?

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:29:59 AM

WD Black mostly because of a long warranty(5 years). I have had several, but have had one fail, but no one is perfect and WDC was fast with the RMA.

Be warned the 2TB to me is kind of loud(but I want a quiet system).

With an SSD, I do not think the hard drives overall speed will matter for just storage(I personally use the 5900 rpm Seagate LP for my files and another for my external backup.). And copying lots of files from the SSD to ANY hard drive will choke it.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:08:29 AM

besides the blacks, anything else less costly, looking for something fair priced for the 2tb 3tb region

m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:19:30 AM

Best answer selected by iceclock.
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:35:00 AM

iceclock said:
besides the blacks, anything else less costly, looking for something fair priced for the 2tb 3tb region

The new Seagate's would be my next choice, just make sure you get the latest firmware if you do not like hearing the drive park when idle(if you have older stock).

EDIt, ohh yeah, My LP's are sata 6 too, but again, it does nothing for actual performance they have much slower access times due to the 5900rpm speed.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:40:06 AM

alright thanks :) 

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:51:22 AM

I did a quick test on the Seagate LP. again access times are lower because HDtune(FREE) is old.

min 58.0
max 140.4
avg 107.1

Access Time
15ms

burst

cpu
-1% ?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 2:12:10 AM

hmm any idea if the western digital red or blue 2tb is anygood?

m
l
December 29, 2012 2:15:42 AM

Red is for servers I believe. Green < Blue < Black
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 2:17:43 AM

seems about right, but the red is sata3 compatible and priced nicely, any toughts samuel?

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 29, 2012 2:33:37 AM

Red runs at the same spindle speed as green(but the red's are rated for 24/7[NAS use] operation and have some other features found on the RE drives.). So if you do not like 5400rpm drives, it is not for you.

What are you doing with the drive?

I would be more then glad to bench some drives on SATA 6gigabit and SATA 3 gigabit to get you some numbers to look at.

EDIT, some reading for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/red-wd20efrx-wd30ef...
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 3:08:50 AM

mostly data, but ill be transfering stuf inbetween my ssd and this 2tb drive so something speedy would be nice :D . thanks for the read.

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 29, 2012 3:42:02 AM

If you are sending files back and forth those are sequential(larger files will be faster, while lots of slower files will not be as fast. for the most part access times do not play too much effect.

It is not like loading games and stuff.

Again, for storage, I personally use slower drives(spindle speed).

If i NEEDED to be able to chew on fragmented files or jump from location to location lots(Windows/programs/games), then a 7200 rpm drive is your friend.

I do not see how the SATA 6gigabit/sec will actually help tho. I mean the drives buffer is about the only thing that will work that fast and those tend to be from 8 or so megabytes(laptop) and 16-64megabytes(desktop). Once you full this, you are fully limited by the drives actual mechanical limits(under SATA 3gigabit/sec).

The biggest thing for hard drives is that when they introduced PRM, drives could pack TONS more data on the same sized platters.

This is why you can get a 1TB laptop drive that fits into a 9.5mm thickness :) .

By placing the data closer together, the drives get MUCH faster sequential read/writes. access times are the only thing that is truly holding hard drives back.

Think of 9-16ms access times vs ssds with 0.02ms(or less) average access times.

I remember my first 40gigabyte drive could JUST push upto about 40-50 or so megabytes a second if I remember right.

in 2007 I had 2 a 2 drive RAID0 that pushed 120mb/sec by 2009 the same number of drives pushed over 200. Now a single drive CRUSHES what was once fast.

Either way, I can run some benchmarks from SATA 6gigabit drives on SATA 3gigabit if you would like to see if it has any difference.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 4:41:47 AM

yeah id like that if u have the time to see if theres an actual difference between sata3 and 2 :p 

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 29, 2012 6:58:30 PM

This is what I got.

I used the SAME cable(Asus supplied SATA 6gigabit cable) and same port(as even the cable makes a difference), just used the hard drives limit jumper to make the changes.

The testing was done under Windows 8 once the system idles(power hit and stayed under 75 watts at the wall). All updates are installed. I wanted to use HDtune pro(demo), but when I set the clock back to make the other benchmark(Anvil) run, HDtune pro said I was expired forever.

SATA 3gigabit

SATA 6gigabit

Without benchmarks, I think you would be hard pressed to feel the difference.
m
l
December 29, 2012 7:06:04 PM

As I said, no difference in HDD speeds for SATA2/3.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 8:33:09 PM

alright thanks, i taught there would be a bigger difference but i guess not, thanks to both u guys :) 

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 30, 2012 4:02:29 AM

Yeah, it was the same when SATA came out and people thought it was so much faster when at the time hard drives had been well below even ATA100 speeds.

This also applies to PCI-E 3.0 until devices get MUCH faster they will not NEED it, but will have it.

Either way, for straight storage, I think speed is not too much of an issue. I personally have 5900 rpm drives and they only get overwhelmed when I copy from the SSD to them. but even the black ha that problem. SSDs can just push data very fast.

By overwhelmed, i mean that the drives average busy time shoots up very high, but if that is all you are doing(copying) it is not an actual issue.

Just get the best you can afford with a warranty you want.

Remember
Red's work,but are designed for network attached storage devices(NAS/RAID box). I was actually going to get one for my media center, but picked up a WD blue notebook drive(just 1TB) with high hopes for its low power/low heat/low noise setup. So far so good.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 2:04:39 PM

so whats my best bet for speed, get a 2tb or 3tb since with more platters supposely increases performance?, im good with hardware but hard-drive wise not so much -_-

looking to spend 120ish canadian.

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 30, 2012 3:41:35 PM

With tax and shipping?

If so, chances are you will have to stick with 2tb.

Also note that older boards(and operating systems) may not properly read drives larger then 2TB. Your board should have no problems with anything, just a warning if you plan to move the drive to another(older) system for any reason in the future.

This is about as cheap as it gets. The down side is the 1 year warranty, some are posting saying that the seagate warranty checker shows 2, but I think it depends on location. The 1TB platters make it a very fast drive.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=66010&vpn=ST2000DM001...

If you notice it is making a rather loud head parking when it idles, you should be able to get a firmware fix from the seagate website.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 3:51:13 PM

thanks, thats very good deal, and i can get for 15$ an extended 3 years with ncix so its all good :) 

m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 30, 2012 3:56:42 PM

I shop at NCIX almost inclusively(and they price match many other stores as well). Only go to other sites if NCIX does not carry the item :) 

If you review items you get and click a little link in the weekly e-mails they send, you can get points. 500 points gets you VIP. VIP gets you free return shipping for RMA's(very good if a product comes doa) and stuff.

Remember the warranty extension is handled by a third party and not NCIX as far as I know.

Enjoy the new drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 3:59:00 PM

oh, well i know ncix replaces anything if its broken, within that warranty timeline,

is it worth saving for a 3tb drive or not? i got a p67 mobo from msi hope it doesnt have issues with 2.5tb+ drives.

m
l
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 4:16:24 PM

i think its got uefi :) 
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 30, 2012 5:55:30 PM

Most UEFI bios setups allow you to use the mouse as well as the keyboard.

They looks something like this.

m
l
!