Sign in with
Your question

Weird On then Off Sector Errors

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2012 12:44:28 AM

Riddle me this:

I've got a WD Elements 1.5 TB drive hooked to my TV for watching movies, about 2 years old. In a pinch, I used it to dump some big files on it and then I was unable to get them off. I ran TuneHD and found some errors in the back end of the drive so I assumed it was failing.

So, I ordered a new internal drive and took apart the enclosure and hooked the old drive and the new drive up to my PC directly through SATA (versus the USB from the external). I was able to transfer all of the files to the new drive, including the big files that I had trouble with before. Then, I ran TuneHD on the old drive and it showed no errors.

The only difference between the first time and second time: 1st time was the unopened external HD using USB, 2nd time was the removed HD hooked directly to SATA.

Am I nuts, what do you think?

More about : weird sector errors

a b G Storage
April 16, 2013 2:58:45 AM

SATA Bridge on the external case is falling.
a c 356 G Storage
April 16, 2013 5:12:03 AM

qazzi said:
SATA Bridge on the external case is falling.

You mean the USB controller in the enclosure. OP said it worked fine with SATA.

@OP: You can always get a new USB enclosure for the drive if you want to continue to use it as an external.

a b G Storage
April 16, 2013 10:44:39 PM

Hawkeye22 said:

You mean the USB controller in the enclosure. OP said it worked fine with SATA.

Yeah, but people around here calls it "SATA-USB Bridge" for some reason. that's why i end up calling it that.
!