Sign in with
Your question

Downloading new drivers from Windows Update

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2010 1:59:02 PM

Hello guru's,

I have a question about my nvidia geforce 8800 GT 512 MB (g92).
I got a new update from Windows Update about a new driver for the graphics card. I know that this one is pretty outdated, but mine is outdated too (I got my current driver also from Windows Update). However, my current drivers are working great, no problems. But I had some problems with my older card (artifacts). This one was replaced by Dell.
Now my graphics card (which is refurbished) is still running the same drivers.

Should I install the ''new'' ones from Windows Update? Or leave it, because I have no problems?

Thank you.
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 2:11:48 PM

Well, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Windows Update drivers tend to be very basic VGA drivers, not the actual proper drivers you can get off Nvidia's website.

Why not try downloading the latest drivers off Nvidia's site that are compatable with your 8800 and see what your card is like then?
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2010 2:15:54 PM

With your card being an older 8800 - the new drivers are probably not going to change much but it never hurts to try the new ones - test for awhile and see if the performance improves or not - you can easily revert to the older ones if the performance drops.
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 2:17:14 PM

You can see what changes were made to the drivers by selecting details. Most of the time they state which issues have been fixed.
Prior to Vista I would have said that a new driver is a good driver. But I have gotten some less than adequate drivers lately.(catalyst 10.5, and a realtek audio)
So unless the update notes fix an issue you have or might have I have to say:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Now if your bored and want to play around, go for it cause you can always roll it back or reinstall the old one.
Related resources
!