Sign in with
Your question

First time building a rig

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
September 19, 2010 5:00:07 PM

Hi, I'm building my first computer and am hoping you can provide some input into whether the set up works, or is optimal. I really just use my comp primarily for gaming (WoW).

CPU: Intel i5 750 Quad Core 2.66GHz 28MB Cache
GPU: eVGA P3 GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 768MB PCI-Express 2.0 Dual DVI, Mini-HDMI
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
RAM: G.Skill Trident DDR3 2000 MHz
H/D: Western Digital Black 1TB 3.5 7200 RPM 6GB SATA
PSU: Corsair HX Series 650W ATX EPS 12V
CPU Colling: Scythe Mugen-2 REV.B
Case: Antec Three Hundred (by the way, I didn't follow exactly what was suggested in your reviews about the High v. Low fan here --- is that an option for the pre-set fan locations? or do you move the fan location. Very new to this, so apologies if the question doesn't make sense :whistle:  )

Thanks in advance guys

More about : time building rig

September 19, 2010 6:25:40 PM

looks like a pretty decent build :) 

the Antec 300 had built in fan speed controllers for the fasns it comes with, low speed is not as noisy, high speed is cooler.

m
l
Anonymous
September 19, 2010 7:19:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the fan. That makes much more sense.

Would I be able to run my game settings to 1920x1080 if I use this build or would I need a GTX470 or improvements elsewhere?
Secondly, is there any issues in terms of space? Will these all fit in the Antec 300?
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2010 8:16:53 PM

for 1920x1080, I'd consider the 1 GB version of the GTX 460
m
l
Anonymous
September 19, 2010 10:29:47 PM

Thanks again. Just took your advice and went with the 1GB.
m
l
September 20, 2010 3:15:52 AM

1gb GTX460 is better, ...good.

How much ram? You want at least a 4gb kit. Nehalem cpu's have a very good memory controller. They can keep the cpu fed with data very well. DDR3-2000 will not give you significantly more fps than 133 or 1600. 2% perhaps. Don't pay extra for better speed or timings unless you are looking for a maximum overclock.

Antec 300 is very good. all will fit.

Did you order a dvd?

Download and read, cover to cover the motherboard and case manuals ahead of time. Many questions will be answered.
m
l
September 20, 2010 3:21:42 AM

I have Antec 900 cases with the same three speed fans. The 900's have four fans. Set on Low, they are pretty quiet. Set on High, the case sounds like a freakin' vacuum cleaner setting on the desk. Fortunately, the airflow through the case is good enough that fan speeds faster than Low give no extra improvement in temperatures.

m
l
Anonymous
September 20, 2010 7:17:17 AM

Hey Geofelt, it will be a 4GB RAM set up. Here's the link from where I found the comparisons and why I chose that particular G.Skill RAM.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/dual-channel-ram-ddr3-4gb...

I'll definitely look into the Spinpoint F3 Harddrive.

By the way, I ended up getting MSI's N460GTX Hawk 1GB DDR5 for the GPU. From the recommendations, it looks to be the best for overclock potential in the 460 series. And I got it at a fantastic price of $209 Canadian at NCIX - they had a weekend special. It wasn't even showing up on their online page apparently. I would never have asked if you guys hadn't recommended upgrading to a 1Gig card. Definitely got lucky there. Thanks again!

I honestly hadn't really considered the DVD drive to any great extent. Mostly looking for a quieter one. Maybe I'm discounting some other performance considerations there. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

m
l
!