Sign in with
Your question

First time building a rig

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
September 19, 2010 5:00:07 PM

Hi, I'm building my first computer and am hoping you can provide some input into whether the set up works, or is optimal. I really just use my comp primarily for gaming (WoW).

CPU: Intel i5 750 Quad Core 2.66GHz 28MB Cache
GPU: eVGA P3 GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 768MB PCI-Express 2.0 Dual DVI, Mini-HDMI
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
RAM: G.Skill Trident DDR3 2000 MHz
H/D: Western Digital Black 1TB 3.5 7200 RPM 6GB SATA
PSU: Corsair HX Series 650W ATX EPS 12V
CPU Colling: Scythe Mugen-2 REV.B
Case: Antec Three Hundred (by the way, I didn't follow exactly what was suggested in your reviews about the High v. Low fan here --- is that an option for the pre-set fan locations? or do you move the fan location. Very new to this, so apologies if the question doesn't make sense :whistle:  )

Thanks in advance guys

More about : time building rig

September 19, 2010 6:25:40 PM

looks like a pretty decent build :) 

the Antec 300 had built in fan speed controllers for the fasns it comes with, low speed is not as noisy, high speed is cooler.

Anonymous
September 19, 2010 7:19:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the fan. That makes much more sense.

Would I be able to run my game settings to 1920x1080 if I use this build or would I need a GTX470 or improvements elsewhere?
Secondly, is there any issues in terms of space? Will these all fit in the Antec 300?
Related resources
September 19, 2010 8:16:53 PM

for 1920x1080, I'd consider the 1 GB version of the GTX 460
Anonymous
September 19, 2010 10:29:47 PM

Thanks again. Just took your advice and went with the 1GB.
September 20, 2010 3:15:52 AM

1gb GTX460 is better, ...good.

How much ram? You want at least a 4gb kit. Nehalem cpu's have a very good memory controller. They can keep the cpu fed with data very well. DDR3-2000 will not give you significantly more fps than 133 or 1600. 2% perhaps. Don't pay extra for better speed or timings unless you are looking for a maximum overclock.

Antec 300 is very good. all will fit.

Did you order a dvd?

Download and read, cover to cover the motherboard and case manuals ahead of time. Many questions will be answered.
September 20, 2010 3:21:42 AM

I have Antec 900 cases with the same three speed fans. The 900's have four fans. Set on Low, they are pretty quiet. Set on High, the case sounds like a freakin' vacuum cleaner setting on the desk. Fortunately, the airflow through the case is good enough that fan speeds faster than Low give no extra improvement in temperatures.

Anonymous
September 20, 2010 7:17:17 AM

Hey Geofelt, it will be a 4GB RAM set up. Here's the link from where I found the comparisons and why I chose that particular G.Skill RAM.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/dual-channel-ram-ddr3-4gb...

I'll definitely look into the Spinpoint F3 Harddrive.

By the way, I ended up getting MSI's N460GTX Hawk 1GB DDR5 for the GPU. From the recommendations, it looks to be the best for overclock potential in the 460 series. And I got it at a fantastic price of $209 Canadian at NCIX - they had a weekend special. It wasn't even showing up on their online page apparently. I would never have asked if you guys hadn't recommended upgrading to a 1Gig card. Definitely got lucky there. Thanks again!

I honestly hadn't really considered the DVD drive to any great extent. Mostly looking for a quieter one. Maybe I'm discounting some other performance considerations there. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

!