Transferring an OS from one HDD to another

lkirk98

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hi, right now I a 1 TB hard drive with Win 7 installed on it. I plan to install an SSD soon and I was planning on having the OS be there. I would just reinstall it the SSD, but the place I bought the computer from didn't include the Win 7 disk. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks

Solution
you can start by uninstalling programs that wouldnt be running from the ssd. Delete temp and internet files. When you choose an ssd get one with an transfer kit and then you can transfer the OS to the SSD. Then disconnect the hdd and install the hdd and reboot. Once all is working well you can install the hdd and wipe the old OS off and begin using it for your storage drive

but by all means, start making backup or you're going to end up buying yourself a copy of win7 down the road.

popatim

Titan
you can start by uninstalling programs that wouldnt be running from the ssd. Delete temp and internet files. When you choose an ssd get one with an transfer kit and then you can transfer the OS to the SSD. Then disconnect the hdd and install the hdd and reboot. Once all is working well you can install the hdd and wipe the old OS off and begin using it for your storage drive

but by all means, start making backup or you're going to end up buying yourself a copy of win7 down the road.

Solution

lkirk98

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely bookmark this page and come back for when I get the SSD.