8 gig on one stick

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

About when can I expect to find DDR3 8 gig sticks for Notebooks & Desktops?
I searched but can't find any rumors.
This will be very helpful for netbooks which only have 1 slot or a desktop doing high-end graphics/ data mining work.

thanks!

I don't expect DDR4 out until 2014, so I hope the high capacity sticks will be out long before then.

Solution
It ALL depends on the Notebook, the HP EliteBook 8740w supports 4x8GB {32GB max}, but most notebooks are 2x4GB.

There are Work Stations that support 288GB, there are Sandy Bridge that are limited to 2x8GB, and there are many MOBO's with max 4GB/stick density.

The 8GB/stick non-ECC prices are coming down, but the most 'affordable' are the registered 8GB/stick ECC.

The folks that 'need' >8GB are typically the professionals - rendering, simulation, data, etc. As for DDR4 and beyond most uses for it will be limited to the 'future' CPUs and then it's going to be interesting what impact it will have on consumers. I 'get' DDR4/DDR5 is used in GPUs now.
For a desktop, they cost $400 for a 16 GB kit (2 x 8 GB). They currently are not in stock.

It ALL depends on the Notebook, the HP EliteBook 8740w supports 4x8GB {32GB max}, but most notebooks are 2x4GB.

There are Work Stations that support 288GB, there are Sandy Bridge that are limited to 2x8GB, and there are many MOBO's with max 4GB/stick density.

The 8GB/stick non-ECC prices are coming down, but the most 'affordable' are the registered 8GB/stick ECC.

The folks that 'need' >8GB are typically the professionals - rendering, simulation, data, etc. As for DDR4 and beyond most uses for it will be limited to the 'future' CPUs and then it's going to be interesting what impact it will have on consumers. I 'get' DDR4/DDR5 is used in GPUs now.

Solution
BTW - regarding Notebooks I've seen a lot of research, by far the HP EliteBook's are the better choice over Dell or anyone else at this time. The research is from large enterprise e.g. financial institutions. In fact I have a bloated HP EliteBook - it's really a desktop the folds. ;)