Sign in with
Your question

Virtual XP vs. My Graphics Card on Windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2010 2:35:09 PM

Is there seriously no way to get a VM to recognize installed hardware (like graphics cards)? I don't understand why that's so impossible to do, can someone explain it to me so that I can let go of all this rage?

So if it is impossible, is there anyway to switch between XP and Windows 7 at will, so I can run them both natively, and thus be able to game in XP when I need to for compatibility reasons...???
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 3:31:03 PM

it doesn't work that way, the only solution i have seen to pass through the GPU's in Xen, but in order to pass through the GPU you need either Intel's Vt-d (not Vt-x it's different) or AMD's IOMMU in their 890FX boards

and Xen doesn't work under windows so you would have to have a form of linux running as the dom0 kernel and have XP and Win7 as virtual machines and then you would need a GPU for each one (as thejavascript:%20validform(this);y can't share a GPU even doing this)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 4:37:14 PM

For switching you could always dual boot, install XP first then Win 7 on another partition.
m
l
August 10, 2010 6:56:49 PM

Timop said:
For switching you could always dual boot, install XP first then Win 7 on another partition.

Maybe I'll try that. Thanks. It's probably just my lack of understanding about how these things work that's making me so frustrated. It just seems like it should be simple! Fooooolish me.

Thanks again.
m
l
!