Virtual XP vs. My Graphics Card on Windows 7

Dimak22

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Is there seriously no way to get a VM to recognize installed hardware (like graphics cards)? I don't understand why that's so impossible to do, can someone explain it to me so that I can let go of all this rage?

So if it is impossible, is there anyway to switch between XP and Windows 7 at will, so I can run them both natively, and thus be able to game in XP when I need to for compatibility reasons...???

it doesn't work that way, the only solution i have seen to pass through the GPU's in Xen, but in order to pass through the GPU you need either Intel's Vt-d (not Vt-x it's different) or AMD's IOMMU in their 890FX boards

and Xen doesn't work under windows so you would have to have a form of linux running as the dom0 kernel and have XP and Win7 as virtual machines and then you would need a GPU for each one (as thejavascript:%20validform(this);y can't share a GPU even doing this)

Dimak22

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

Maybe I'll try that. Thanks. It's probably just my lack of understanding about how these things work that's making me so frustrated. It just seems like it should be simple! Fooooolish me.

Thanks again.