bw87555

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello,

My system has encountered a problem. The system has been randomly shutting down and/or restarting. Last night, the system hung and I had to do a reset. From there, it would start to boot, but hang where it would normally show the list of drives on the screen, and gives you the DELETE or F8 option. After several restarts, it never booted past that. I tried the DELETE & F8 keys with my USB keyboard, but no response. I then hooked up a PS/2 keyboard, and rebooted, still nothing.

I finally cleared the CMOS and tried rebooting. At this point, I get to the ASUS Ai splash screen, but still no response to the keyboard (USB or PS/2).
My BIOS was 1903. I have been running the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deeluxe, AMD5000+ black edition, OC’d to 3.01Ghz. 6 GB RAM. 1GB 9800GT+. Everything has been in place for quite some time. I can tell that my HDD is spinning, so I want to say that it is still good (although I will need to test in different system). Because my system is unresponsive to keyboard commands, I suspect there is a failure in the motherboard, rather than CPU, HDD, RAM, GPU.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the mobo is the problem (and if so, any suggestions on fix)? Any further testing? Since I can’t get the keyboard to respond, I’m not sure how I could do anything else.

Thanks for any feedback.

First to troubleshoot you need to remove all overclocks.

Then if your still having the issue you can troubleshoot from there.

It sounds like either a overclock setting gone wrong (memory?) or power supply. What power supply do you have and how old is it?

bw87555

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I believe the OC's are gone when I cleared the CMOS. I wondered about the PSU (mid-level 450W), but since the system boots but is non-responsive to keyboard input. I wasn't sure if that was the issue, especially since I am at stock speeds. Any idea as to how likely the PSU could cause that?

Thanks