Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need build help, NVIDIA or ATI.

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2010 5:35:52 PM

1. What is your budget? ~$2-2.4k.
- Does your budget include an operating system, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc? Yes.
- Does this cover shipping and/or tax? No.
- Is this a hard-pressed budget, or are you willing to fluctuate? Hard pressed.

2. What is the PC being used for?
- Gaming, multimedia, work, video editing, etc? Gaming, some 3D rendering + video editing.
- If you'll be gaming, what graphics settings and level of performance are you looking for? Maxed settings, consistently high FPS.
- What games will you be playing and what applications will you be using? BFBC2, Crysis, COD: Black Ops, Cinema 4D, Vegas, Adobe Apps, PS3 Media Server.

3. Will you be looking at performing future upgrades? Possibly.
- Will you ever be using Crossfire or SLI? I can't see myself needing that, but as games with higher specs are required, it is always an option.
- Are you looking at adding more RAM in the future? Probably.
- Will you ever be upgrading the CPU? Maybe.

4. What are the full build specs? (if you already have one in mind)

Spoiler
Case
Thermaltake Armor A90 Gaming Case Black (Big enough?)
Case Lighting
None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction
None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
None
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive
None
Processor Cooling
Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - Enermax Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow) (Do I need this upgrade?)
Memory
6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 - ** FREE Upgrade from DDR3-1333 ** Corsair or Major Brand (Enough? Right kind?)
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 - 1.5GB - EVGA Superclocked - Single Card (Do I need superclocked version?)
Video Card Brand
Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA
Motherboard
[SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
USB 3.0, S-ATA 3.0 RAID (I know nothing about motherboards.)
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface
Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface
Power Supply
850 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-850AX (I know not to go generic, but too much power? Good PSU?)
Primary Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive
None
Optical Drive
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
2nd Optical Drive
None
Flash Media Reader/Writer
12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
Meter Display
None
Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit
Monitor
None
2nd Monitor
None
Speaker System
None
Power Protection
None
Headset
None
Video Camera
None
Warranty
Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
Rush Service
Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days
Free Stuff
[Free Game Download] - MAFIA II Free with Purchase of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 or 480 Video Card
Free Stuff
[Free Game Download] - StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Free Trial Free with Purchase of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or higher Video Card
Wireless Network Adapter
Zonet ZEW2545 802.11n 130Mbps Wireless USB Adapter (Good for gaming?)
Power Protection
Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Mighty Voltage Regulator
[/size][/size][/b]

I'll probably just get my monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc from NewEgg, or somewhere cheaper. So, that would be about $400.

Also, should I be going ATI? I've heard that the competing ATIs offer better performance overall, and that the 480s have overheating problems, and are very loud.

Thanks!

More about : build nvidia ati

September 19, 2010 7:31:47 PM

You should post this in the New build section.
m
l
September 19, 2010 8:07:58 PM

Couple of comments to see where you are at:

- A pair of 460s will outperform the 480 at somewhat lower cost and generate less heat at idle. They use more power at load, but its less than expected with the increased performance.

See "The GeForce GTX 460 SLI configuration absolutely obliterates the GeForce GTX 480’s performance scores, landing a 26% performance coup de grace upon its big brother after continuously battering it with wins in every benchmark at every setting." from:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli-geforce-gtx-480,2694-11.html

The downside is the lack of an upgrade path, since 3-way sli is not an option for the 460. By then, there will be new cards though, and buying a second 480 may not be the best option.

- Liquid Cooling: I'm not a big fan of self-contained liquid coolers. They do not perform as well as air coolers. Further, the mobo cannot react to a failure of the pump like it can to a fan failure (shuts down). Without the pump, the cooler is left with only convection cooling and the cpu keeps running until it shuits down due to heat. Finally, since the liquid cooler's fan is still spinning, you may not diagnose the problem quick enough to prevent multiple heat shutdowns, and the cooking of your cpu.

If it sounds like a personal experience, it is. Go air.

- Mobo is fine.

- psu is very good. You could go with a 750W Corsair if it saved money. There are also a couple of other brands and models that can often save money depending on today's prices, but if you are ordering a custom build the choices may not matter price-wise.

- 1TB HD - One of the problems with these builds is lack of choice of HD. If building, and the spec was 1TB, the choice would be a Samsung F3 at $75, faster than any other 1TB.

m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2010 2:06:42 AM

rolli59 said:
You should post this in the New build section.

Apparently not. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294982-31-build-budge...

Twoboxer said:

- Liquid Cooling: I'm not a big fan of self-contained liquid coolers. They do not perform as well as air coolers. Further, the mobo cannot react to a failure of the pump like it can to a fan failure (shuts down). Without the pump, the cooler is left with only convection cooling and the cpu keeps running until it shuits down due to heat. Finally, since the liquid cooler's fan is still spinning, you may not diagnose the problem quick enough to prevent multiple heat shutdowns, and the cooking of your cpu.

If it sounds like a personal experience, it is. Go air.

What are the chances of this happening? I've never heard of this before. Either way, I appreciate your 2 cents.
m
l

Best solution

September 20, 2010 2:35:24 AM

I've not seen any such cooler specify that both pump and fan failure will signal the motherboard by showing 0 RPM on the signal pin when either stops.

Pump failure is inevitable, and the most likely cause of failure. When an air (or water) cooler fan fails, you buy a replacement part and you're up and running. How long will it last? Check the warranty, ask the mfg.

You can manage around this problem if you ensure your BIOS settings to shut down cpu are maintained, and if your first thought when an unexpected shutdown occurs is not to power up again. Instead, remove the cover and power up while listening/feeling for the pump to turn on.

Keep in mind the main point is they don't (yet) cool as well as air. They do have indicated uses - smaller footprint around the cpu, you can move the point of hot air exhaust if your case and hose length permit, etc.
September 20, 2010 7:44:07 PM

Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate your time. Anyway, the system comes with a three year warranty, so I think I'm set.
m
l
September 20, 2010 7:44:24 PM

Best answer selected by NHardware.
m
l
September 20, 2010 10:12:40 PM

Good luck and Great Gaming!
m
l
!